Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

B&K Precision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have their 391 DVM and an AC/DC 400A current probe by them.
They're still in business.:eek:

Plot a graph of competitor scopes BWs (if bandwidth is your most important consideration) and price; you'll see who is competing with them for this particular scope.

Last edited:
B&K firm has been around for many decades. They didn't make top of the line test equipment like HP or Fluke, but rather more affordable devices used by smaller firms like TV repair shops and such. They made a lot of specialty test equiment for TV, FM and other consumer type devices.

I have an old B&K transistor tester that I bought on E-bay and think it is a very well designed and built item. ( https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/12/BK2053020Semiconductor20Tester.pdf )

So I can't comment on their latest test equipment but their history is pretty good.

I have one of their scopes that is around 20 yrs old. Still works. My only problem is lost probes and a hot soldering iron that melted some of the handle. After market probes work just fine. So if any thing is a problem it's me ;-)

At the moment, I am pretty much settled on the the B&K 25MHz scope. Its definitely the entry level model, but I am not doing any super-sophisticated testing, so hopefully the 25MHz, 250M Sample/sec, and 4000point memory will work. Although I don't know how 4000 points translate to bytes, as they are the only manufacturer that lists their memory in points rather than bytes. I was primarily concerned with general quality and reputability of the company.

Thanks to everyone for the info.

Although I don't know how 4000 points translate to bytes, as they are the only manufacturer that lists their memory in points rather than bytes. I was primarily concerned with general quality and reputability of the company.
Points is the number of data points it stores. The number of bytes is determined by the amplitude resolution of each point. If 8-bits are used to store the amplitude of each point then the number of bytes would equal the number of points.

Their equipment was very popular with TV repairmen in the 1970s.
They made effective test equipment for bench and field.

Points is the number of data points it stores. The number of bytes is determined by the amplitude resolution of each point. If 8-bits are used to store the amplitude of each point then the number of bytes would equal the number of points.

I understand now, thanks for the explanation. As matter of fact I was looking at Tek's scopes and they are actually listed in "points" of storage also.

As stated, its FAR from top of the line, but for everything thing I need at the moment, and my college budget, it seems like a great scope.

FINALLY, I will have a scope!:D

B&K Precision makes industrial process control equipment also. It's good reliable stuff. I've have owned one of their function generators for 10 years now and it still works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back