Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Axial flux pm generator - Questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Nichols

I've never built an axial flux generator and I want to know some technical aspects.

Almost every generator I've seen is designed to output triphasic. I don't know if triphasic would have some advantage in some aspect. Another question is: If I use a triphasic design, then the number of magnets and coils must be a multiple of 3?

From the technical standpoint of cost VS output buying a common AC or DC PM servo motor or stepper motor that matches your required RPM range and power output and using that as a generator will prove to be far better in the long run.

You will never beat an off the shelf factory made unit on the cost efficiency or size aspects let alone reliability and ease of replacement or repair.

Yes for a three phase output you will need three coils for every magnet pole.

Three phase is the simplest and easiest way to generate an AC output for rectification into DC while getting the least amount of voltage ripple using the least amount of coils or other components.

So with that why do you wish to build one anyway and with what materials? :confused:

Thanks tcmtech,

I wanted to build for the size. I have no idea, but when I think about a servo motor I think they need more torque to move compared with axial flux generators (I don't know if this is correct). The second thing is the size, but I think there would be differente servomotor sizes.
Do you know any website of online shop?

I've found in ebay some good dc motors.
I've a question about amperage output:
(click on the image to enlarge)
picture2rq.jpg

#Mr03 model

If I rotate it at 2700 rpm, what would be the amperage? 0.08?

Three phase is the simplest and easiest way to generate an AC output for rectification into DC while getting the least amount of voltage ripple using the least amount of coils or other components.
There are a couple other advantages to three phase:

The combined output power from the three phases is constant. Thus, for example, a three-phase motor has a smooth torque output without the fluctuations and hum vibration that a single phase motor has.

Three phase requires the least amount of copper to carry a given amount of power of any AC transmission scheme (only DC is more efficient).

Yes it would b .08 amps with a realistic output of about 80% of its rated voltage as a motor or pretty close to 5 volts.

When using a PM motor as a generator what ever was its rated input amps as a motor will now be your maximum continuous rated output amps as a generator.

Also when loaded to that amp limit working as a generator at the same input RPMs the output voltage will be around 80% of its motor rating on average but that can vary some depending on the design. Some may putout over 90% of their ratted voltage while others can be less than 50%.

eBay is also where I get all of my motors I use to make generators for my wind and AE experiments and the 80% output voltage ratio has always been a pretty consistent expected approximation for the good quality units I buy:D

(Granted the ones I use tend to be rated for ~40 - 80 amps at 50 volts or higher working as generators.):p

From the technical standpoint of cost VS output buying a common AC or DC PM servo motor or stepper motor that matches your required RPM range and power output and using that as a generator will prove to be far better in the long run.

You will never beat an off the shelf factory made unit on the cost efficiency or size aspects let alone reliability and ease of replacement or repair.
TCM Tech,

I have searched Ebay and used Google to attempt to find a generator with these specs ...

Direct Drive - Low RPM from 100 RPM to 500 RPM (approx)
48 Volts of AC or DC at 100 RPM
2,000 watts at 500 RPM
Continuous Duty
Outdoor rated ( stainless steel shafts and water proof sealed bearings )

to attach to a 10' Diameter Wind Turbine.

But I cannot find any.
Do you have a Brand Name or link to specific model ?
Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back