Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Awsome Christmas light display question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rescue1

Hello all,and happy holidays....I am sure some of you have seen this,I find it pretty cool seeings how I am an electronics buff..
**broken link removed**

Now I am sure this was computer controlled,it had to because it is just timed to perfectly.The guy had to be a pro I would imagine..Anyway,what type of program do you guys think is used here,and I would imagine each 120v light circuit is on its own relay...Just gathering some thoughts from you experts,maybe someone here works in a similiar lighting effects field..Thanks everyone..... 8)

He possibly could have used some high power mosfets? Those are some pretty fast switiching times, I would think it would be rather abusive to relays to be switching them that fast.

jrz126 said:
He possibly could have used some high power mosfets? Those are some pretty fast switiching times, I would think it would be rather abusive to relays to be switching them that fast.

It would be crude to use relays, most likely it's done using TRIAC's.

the system as seen is video is very common. it is used from churches, meeting rooms to concert halls. google for DMX512. it is protocol ws intended to control control lights (dimmers) but over time more and more devices became available with appropriate interface. this includes laser shows, smoke or fog machiens etc. DMX512 is basically running on RS485 network. standard speed is 250kbps but lower speeds are possible too (like 115.2k or even 19200). this is controlled by pc (master). each slave has dial to select node address. each slave can occupy range of addresses (5 bytes for example) but minimum is one byte. there are comercially ready controllers with 32-128 channels that can run own programs or be synced with music thanks to MIDI (WinAmp can also be used to generate key sequences and there is some sample source code for VB etc to get just that). it is possible to connect more nodes (and there are controllers for more channels) but they are not as impressive since response time goes down. as Nigel says, relays are not prefered choice in such systems or anywhere where they would have to cycle very often. besides, who would want to listen to chatter of say 128 relays? :-D

Yep this is prety good.

Lots of lights and perfectly timed.I like it how first only afew lits are used but then more more more and more start to come on.

You wod need an big multiplexer to get enugh outputs and a lot of triacs.This cod get a bit complicated.

Someone Electro said:
Yep this is prety good.

Lots of lights and perfectly timed.I like it how first only afew lits are used but then more more more and more start to come on.

You wod need an big multiplexer to get enugh outputs and a lot of triacs.This cod get a bit complicated.

As panic mode says, it's probably done via DMX512?, all easily available commercial equipment - just plug it together and use a software program to control it all - again the programs are easily available as well.

In some respects DMX512 is a simple network, with different units assigned different addresses - it's really quite simple.

Just a question of cost! - but even that quantity of bulbs wouldn't be cheap!.

Thats for the replys....I figured what he used for the controllers,they can be found here... http://www.lightorama.com/ .......The full story of who it is and how he did it can be found here http://www.snopes.com/photos/arts/xmaslights.asp

If you read through you will notice that he uses a small FM transmitter to throw out the music and not piss off the neighbors,very cool..Great idea....I can imagine though that these controllers are VERY expensive... :shock: ........ 8)

He spent 2 months and $10,000US hooking-up controllers for 25,000 bulbs for this year's Christmas display! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back