Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

awg or swg wire guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillypig

hi all
could any one tell me in this schematic if the wire is swg or awg
and how do i measure it
diameter or cross sectional area
cheers
marko

Attachments

• transmitter2.jpg
    transmitter2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
The fact it says # tells me its awg, # isnt all that common here in the UK.
But thats only a guess.

For a circuit like that, the wire diameter is far from critical.
Use whatever you have, within reason.

JimB

The fact it says # tells me its awg, # isnt all that common here in the UK.
But thats only a guess.

That's what I would have guessed, AWG. Also, you can measure diameter or cross sectional area, but seems to me you have to measure diameter to calculate cross sectional area??? Some charts give both, but most give diam. Use whatever your chart says. That's if you have wire you don't know the size of (I measure the diam of wire from time to time, damn sloppy techs).

Also, you don't use 'hookup' wire. They want magnetic wire, which is copper with a shellac type finish. Hookup wire has plastic insulation which is thicker and will distort the diam. of your coils.

Mike is right on the money. The wire is called magnet wire, enameled wire or Formvar insulated wire. You didn't tell us where you live, so I can't suggest a possible source. The 1/8 diameter means the diameter of the air core. I'd use the flutes on a 1/8 drill bit to wind the coil. It will remove easily.

That coil would be about 470 nH if that helps at all. So, combined with the 22 pF capacitor in the collector tank, I assume this is designed for 49 MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back