Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Avoiding solder spikes on SMT components?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

I was hand-soldering a few of these boards and noticed every once in a while, I wind up with a spiky lump for a solder joint. [see attached image] **broken link removed** attributes the problem to excessive solder, which sounds reasonable. Can anyone think of other soldering steps that can avoid this?

Attachment here.

Attachments

• SolderSpikes.jpg
    SolderSpikes.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 280
Hi

When I do that, I make sure that the iron is nice and hot. Then add a decent amount of flux, not so much that it is flooded, but don't go easy. Then heat it up. That's it!

I was once told that SMD soldering is not a contest of who can solder the best, but who can use the most flux!!!!

Hope it helps

Tom

I heat up one pad, without the component in position - then add a tiny bit of solder to that pad. Re-heat it, and place the component into position with tweezers, so it cools and holds it in place. Then, with my iron at an angle (its a pointed tip) lay it across the pad/component edge and just touch it with very fine (0.3-0.6mm) solder. Then drag the iron sideways, rather than lifiting it up. Always ends up with a perfect joint for SMT passives. 1206 right down to 0402.

If it looks messy afterwards, like I've used too much solder (less is more! thus the thin solder wire) then, a flux pen, dabbed at each end, then a quick reheat on a well cleaned iron tip, quickly neatens it up.

Also as mentioned, flux is your friend. Although, generally, for two-pad passives, the flux in good 'ol flux cored solder is more than enough.

Along the lines of what has already been mentioned, what you're seeing is a lack of flux or a lack of cleaning old solder off of the tip. I wouldn't say that it means too much solder though. If you leave solder on the tip for too long, the flux will boil away. You then try to use that on the components, but there isn't any flux so it gets spiky. Over time, as you keep soldering components, you get more and more solder on your tip... and less and less flux as it boils away. That is why, I think, some attribute the spikes to too much solder. However, as said before, just use a flux pin on it then reheat it and you're golden!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back