Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Average power consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroRF

Hi,

I simulated power consumption and got the following graph:
View attachment 65541

As you can see, the power converges only at the end of the simulation.
I wanna calculate the average power consumption since that moment and on.

Is it correct to do the following:
P_avg = P_peak / 2
?

Thanks.

Hello,

What does the pink represent? Is it sine waves or rectified sine waves or pulses or what?

"i'm sorry detective, my responses are limited, you must first ask the right question...."
what are you measuring? maybe it would help if you posted a schematic, and explained what you are trying to do. there isn't enough information in your post to give you a rational answer. average power depends on magnitude and time. you can have extremely low average power with huge peak power, so a simple divide by 2 doesn't work unless you have a 50% duty cycle. 2 watts peak with a 50% duty cycle is 1 watt average power. 10 watts peak with a 10% duty cycle is also 1 watt average power, and 100W peak with 1% duty cycle again is 1W average power.

Last edited:
Average power is not peak power/2. It is the average of individual points where the increments of average summation should not have significant variance in level for the time increment size of the sample.

All increment must be of same time interval or if the increment size is changed then larger increments must be weighted accordingly against smaller increment sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back