Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Average Lifespan of Integrated Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBXTech

Hi All! :) I was wondering if anyone knew the average lifespan of an IC, if there even is one..? Specifically MAX478CSA. I read over the datasheets but they don't say the lifespan of the chip. So, does anyone know? Or know of a site that explains the lifespan of a chip, given the certain specifications or something...?
Thanks in advance!! :)

If an IC is made without a flaw and is used within its ratings then it should last "forever". But only some ICs are made and used "perfectly" so they die early.

Mean Time Between Failures is often used to describe the expected life of components or systems. My guess is that MTBF is based on applications that keep the item of interest operating within mfr's specs. MTBF might be something worth researching.

Regarding the lifetime of a MAX478CSA, I don't know the answer.
But, if your application is critical, then maybe you should consider the MAX478ESA which is designed to work in a wider temperature range etc.

If you operate the chip well within the design specifications, don't subject it to static electricity, power surges, damp, temperature extremes etc then it should last longer.

I posted a reply in the DutchForce one. But basically, I'm doing repairs on a card that has this chip, and when the card is bad, this chip is Always bad, and replacing it fixes it. So, I was wondering, if I should just replace this chip on every card, whether it's bad or not, just to ensure a longer lifespan...

Replacing the IC on each card probably won't make any difference, unless the cards were all made with defective ICs which is unlikely.

Find out the cause of the ICs dying. Overvoltage of the inputs or of the supply? The supply becoming backwards for a moment?

I would look into conditions external to that ic. Something on the card is causing the failure.

As for the original question, I have some equipment with ic's that are 37 years old and still working fine. And I've had stuff where ic's died in just a few years. There's no accurate answer.

I'll have to do some tests to figure out what exactly is causing them to fail, but I think it may be a temperature thing. These cards sit in the shelf for quite some time and get pretty warm, so that makes sense. Maybe using the MAX478ESA will do the trick.

I had tens of thousands of an audio equalizer product made using TL074 quad opamps. Each one was thoroughly tested for response, low distortion and low noise. Only one failed. Its IC was installed in the pcb backwards.

I have made many custom-made circuits and not one has ever failed. Some had tantalum capacitors across the supply explode but the circuits kept running well. All parts operated well within their ratings.

Are you checking the date codes on the ICs to see if it might be a bad run (or two). We used to put the PABX machines we did under heat for a day to try to catch the bad ICs.

But my thought would be bad batch (check the date codes on the chips) or external problems not in the spec, or the chips real spec..

I have read that an IC should last for 200 years, but if you put power to it then the life depends on the operating temperature and how close it is running to its limits. MTBF can be calculated but that is just an average; some will last longer, others less. I was repairing radios for a local auto dealer, some years ago and all the failures were due to the audio power transistor. It was designed to run so hot that I could not hold my finger on it for more than a few seconds, yet it would last several years.

Thanks for all the replies! :) I'll have to look at a few and see what the date codes are on them, that could very well be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back