Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Autoo Fade in / out CCFL Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuee

Hi,
Ive just purchased some ccfl tubes 6", 2x red, 2x green, 2x blue. The input for them is 12vdc to the powerpack per each twin set.
I would ideally like to have a button i press to, press once for auto fade in and out of colors, press again to just select each color and it stays like that.
If you need anymore info just ask.

Any ideas you good people :)

thanks for all your help thus far too with other projects i have done with your help.

Cheers

You can do some really neat things with the small CCFL tubes. A very simple test is to vary the 12 volt input to powerpack used for the tubes. - You can make your tube look like a "Light Saber" from Star Wars. As the voltage is increased, the light in the tube will start at the bottom, and gradually fill the entire tube. This can be done using a simple variable 0 - 12 V power supply.

I made a circuit using the PWM output from a 12F683 PIC to vary the 12 volts in a sawtooth fashion, making the tube fill with light, then decay down, then back, etc. Flashing on and off is also easily done. Switching / modifying the 12 volt input is easier than switching the high voltage side.

Thanks for your replys.
the ccfls are these.

**broken link removed**

3 different colors.

Can you give me more detail how to connect the 3 powerpacks to a switch that will auto fade in / out of alternating colours or just select a color on only.

Thanks

could i utilize any of these circuits.
Can i make 3 of these and put in each power input to the powerpack, then have something that plugs into the circuits that selects each one?

One thing to take into account : The powerpacks output a maximum of around 450 MA per tube, so your interface must be able to handle that. I used a TIP31, simply 'cause I had a few on hand. I also found that the tubes will vary somewhat regarding how much input voltage is required to fully light the tube , none that I have tested require the full 12 volts.

You might consider looking into the multitude of 555 circuits out there, with the appropriate output transistor of course. The 555 will do just about anything you would require.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back