Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

autonomous vehicle sensor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkcrusher

Mission:
A hummer R/C controlled car is avaible, without the electronics, convert it to an autonomous vehicle so it drives to a light source. There are some bricks between the hummer and the light source. Avoid these. All bricks are positonned so that the hummer always can drive between em.
Reach the light source as fast as possible.

Status so far:

H-bridge ,pic controller, 2 LDR installed and hummer programmed to drive to the light source. The first idea was to use the 2 LDR's also for brick detection: a brick creates a shadow , so it must avoid dark spots.
This has been done by placing the LDR's in a tube and let them look to the floor on each side, and program the hummer to always drive to the side which has the must light.

Problems:
This first idea worked very good if there are like only few bricks and not much ambient light, but as there are more bricks , shadows begin to mix
programming gets sophisticater, We even installed a center LDR to detect when theres a shadow just between left and right LDR.
I just found out that left LDR and Right LDR are not electrically the same: The darker it gets the more difference in resistance between left and right LDR even though they see the same lightintensity.

Possible solutions ?
The shadow theory worked good but its time to move on I think. Unless
someone thinks the mission is possible with just LDR's, I think its time to put the 2 LDR's high , horizontally and bout 45 degrees away so the light source is always visible and the program knows if its on the right or left of the hummer. know my question is what should I use to detect the bricks and avoid them ? how much IR, or US sensors, how to position them.... Anyone ?

Darkcrusher said:
Mission:
A hummer R/C controlled car is avaible, without the electronics, convert it to an autonomous vehicle so it drives to a light source. There are some bricks between the hummer and the light source. Avoid these. All bricks are positonned so that the hummer always can drive between em.
Reach the light source as fast as possible.
IR proxy sensors(modulated IR emitter+detector combo) or use cat whiskers like contact sensors to avoid bricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back