Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automotive power window indexing

Status
Not open for further replies.

caged9191

anyone know how I would go about making a circut board with a momentary on/off for integrating a window indexing system into an older vehicle? It is controlled with a basic car alarm remote. The circut must be able to (1) drop the driver side window down 1/2 an inch. (2) actuate the door solinoid to open the door(shaved door handles) (3) then power the window back up when the door is closed. Any info on how I might be able to do this would be greatly appreciated. thanks

What is indexing in this context?

Kinda shouts for a microcontroller, but you might be able to do it with a 555/4017.
Sounds like you want to sequence opening the door with opening the window.
There are some vehicles that do this with the rear window, land rover is one, you might be able to salvage something from a dead car, unless that is the function is deeply embedded in its electronics.

(2) actuate the door solinoid to open the door(shaved door handles)

sounds like you need to adjust your window tracks, so you don't need to drop the window to open the doors. After chopping the top on a car years ago I had a similar problem but after getting the tracks sorted out no longer needed to keep them slightly down when shutting them. This was on a '53 Chevy hardtop, the bolt holes needed to be slotted more to get enough adjustment.

I'd add a mechanically operated switch to the window mechanism in the door to detect the 1/2" down (ort lower) position.

If you have that, you are no longer dependant on timing and can do it with a few relays, if you don't want to use a microcontroller.

You also need a "door closed" switch to interlock the window going back up; possibly the one for the interior light can be intercepted, if that is accurate enough - otherwise you may need an extra switch at the opening side of the door or in the latch mechanism itself, so the control system can detect fully closed and not be triggered if it half latched & the window still out of line.

sounds like you need to adjust your window tracks, so you don't need to drop the window to open the doors. After chopping the top on a car years ago I had a similar problem but after getting the tracks sorted out no longer needed to keep them slightly down when shutting them. This was on a '53 Chevy hardtop, the bolt holes needed to be slotted more to get enough adjustment.
On some of the Coupe's we've had, the window had to be dropped before you open the door as it sits flush in a seal at the top. When you shut the door, the window raises back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back