Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automotive circuit protection ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsMike

Hey everyone,

I bet this was asked many many many times but I can't seem to find an answer with the search.

I'm looking to power and interface some electronic circuits to the car electrical system, I don't know too much about cars my self but I know that the electrical system tents to be very noisy.

So what kind of protection is necessary ? And what does it protect against ?
I've read somewhere that the alternator causes noise with very high amplitude, both positive and negative.
Is there anything else ?
Reverse battery polarity ?
And short circuit conditions ?

How do I protect against these ?
Just fuse+series diode (polarity) and some clamping TVS ? Anything else ? Is there any working tested circuit ?

Thanks in advance, Mike.

Typically we used devices like Tranzorbs to protect against auto voltage transients. If you want to learn about such things, look up "load dump protection".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back