Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automaton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yergaderga

Anyone here ever heard of an automaton? For those who haven't, it is a figure which performs tasks or whatnot. I think robots are called automatons, as well, but I'm thinking of the ones that run on metal gears from the seventeen and eighteen hundreds, and such. Some of them are kind of creepy looking to me, because they look like dolls, which are also creepy, except they move, which is even creepier. Anyway, the way they work is amazing! The builders used clockwork to make them WRITE! I think one of them would be fun to build. I haven't a clue as to where this idea came from.... Maybe some day. :D

Anyone here ever heard of an automaton? For those who haven't, it is a figure which performs tasks or whatnot. I think robots are called automatons, as well, but I'm thinking of the ones that run on metal gears from the seventeen and eighteen hundreds, and such. Some of them are kind of creepy looking to me, because they look like dolls, which are also creepy, except they move, which is even creepier. Anyway, the way they work is amazing! The builders used clockwork to make them WRITE! I think one of them would be fun to build. I haven't a clue as to where this idea came from.... Maybe some day. :D

From an older Post ...... we have seen some of those and some of the most recent..... e.g. http://www.chonday.com/Videos/the-writer-automaton

Edit: From this "Thread" https://www.electro-tech-online.com...ne-with-machine-language.138501/#post-1148675
**broken link removed**

Have you ever seen the animatronics at Disneyland. This one comes to mind.

Have you ever seen the animatronics at Disneyland. This one comes to mind.

Regardless of the "angel music" offered in this presentation, I think he moves around like he has a broomstick shoved up his butt.

Ratch

Last edited:
Regardless of the "angel music" offered in this presentation, I think he moves arount like he has a broomstick shoved up his butt.

Ratch

Care to show something better? I believe this one is fairly old.

We would all look odd giving that speech with our feet nailed to the floor!

It seems there have been 3 versions of this automaton.
The original dates from 1964 and was first displayed at the worlds fair. I visited Disney World in 1978 and seen it in action.
In 1984 a new unit with enhanced movements and facial expressions was introduced.
The current electronic version opened in 2009.

animatronic-lincoln.jpg?w=462&h=693

Haha! Go Lincoln!! I have heard of that before, but the writer from the earlier post is what I mean. I saw a video of that exact one, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back