Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automatic voltage regulator to control tap changing for power transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssembo

I am requesting for ideas on the above topic. I would like to make a circuit that will regulate the output of a power transformer by raising or lowering the tap changer motor. Thanks

Colin

You are going to need to provide much, much more information. How much voltage? How much current? Tap changing motor? Do you mean a transformer with a motor driven variac? Taps on large transformers are generally changed manually based on line voltages to get desired outputs. Variable systems are usually motor driven variacs with reversible DC or AC motors. You raelly aren't providing much information? Also single or poly phase?

Ron

You are going to need to provide much, much more information. How much voltage? How much current? Tap changing motor? Do you mean a transformer with a motor driven variac? Taps on large transformers are generally changed manually based on line voltages to get desired outputs. Variable systems are usually motor driven variacs with reversible DC or AC motors. You raelly aren't providing much information? Also single or poly phase?

Ron

its a 3 phase power transformer 20MVA with norminal tap 4 having 132kV with 33kV constant output. The bandwidth of input voltages is +-1.31percent for 17 taps. I meant dc motor driven variac. So i will need to raise or lower tap positions by forwarding or reversing motor direction. How are my going to achieve this? Thanks

Hello there,

Sounds like a servo system to me. Measure output, use that to determine direction of motor. H bridge to drive motor.

Hello there,

Sounds like a servo system to me. Measure output, use that to determine direction of motor. H bridge to drive motor.

Man, there are limits that will have to be set. it only has to move to the next tap only when the voltage is outside the range. How are my to set that? Thanks

Guys don't give up. Lets do this. About the 132kV, we usually set the voltages down to 110V and this is what we shall use.

How am i to compare the output with the set value? can a differential amplifier work?

Sorry about the motor, its a 3 phase ac motor.

Is that transformer designed for on load tap changing ?

Large 10, 20, 50 MVA substation TX's with TCOL usually have the electric tapchanger bolted on and switch under load by means of double contacts from which one has a heavy resistor in series to avoid parralleling 2 windings at the same time.
A 110 Volt VT usually drives the voltage regulator. An ac motor with heavy flywheel does the change over, which only does so, when up to speed and the flywheels kinetic energy can do the complete tapchange in one go avoiding the tap getting stuck between two taps.

As your TX has 17 taps which is the normel industry norm.

please take a photo of the nameplate.

Last edited:
Is that transformer designed for on load tap changing ?

Large 10, 20, 50 MVA substation TX's with TCOL usually have the electric tapchanger bolted on and switch under load by means of double contacts from which one has a heavy resistor in series to avoid parralleling 2 windings at the same time.
A 110 Volt VT usually drives the voltage regulator. An ac motor with heavy flywheel does the change over, which only does so, when up to speed and the flywheels kinetic energy can do the complete tapchange in one go avoiding the tap getting stuck between two taps.

As your TX has 17 taps which is the normel industry norm.

please take a photo of the nameplate.

Yeah, the TX is designed for on load tap changing.

Atleast have heard of this and its for this that am to design an automatic voltage regulator.

Attached is an example of my transformer records and a sketch of the circuit to make.

Sorry to ask, what do you mean by normel industry norm?

About the nameplate, am going to do that.

Thanks

Colin

Attachments

• BLOCK.doc
    29 KB · Views: 167
Tapchanger

I was in one of the older 33/11 kV subs and took a few photo's of a TCOL

We use a lot of the Alstom KVGC voltage relays.

This is on an ASEA transformer 7.5 MVA
The open box shows the contact drums for the control circuits.
The cubicle on the ground has the drive motor and flywheel in it.

The big box bolted on the TX houses the actual tapchanger.

I have a video on my YouTube channel which showes a TCOL mechanism with flywheel in operation.

Attachments

• IMG_3266.JPG
    IMG_3266.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_3267.JPG
    IMG_3267.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_3268.JPG
    IMG_3268.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_3273.JPG
    IMG_3273.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_3274.JPG
    IMG_3274.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_3275.JPG
    IMG_3275.JPG
    336.3 KB · Views: 185
Sorry to ask, what do you mean by normel industry norm?

Most TX's use 17 taps for voltage control and depending what voltage is used tap 5 is used for nominal voltage ( 33,000 V ) in our case

Hello again,

I am not that familiar with what you are doing so i can not give too specific advice, but feedback systems (such as servos) use measured signals compared to references to make changes in the system such that the output is regulated between two set points which are usually very close together. For a voltage system, you would divide the output voltage down and rectify it into dc and then compare it to a fixed reference which is set where you want it to be. If the output goes high it would tell the motor to spin one way (to decrease the output) and if the output goes low it would tell the motor to spin the other way (to increase the output). You might build in a little hysteresis to prevent the system from constantly hopping back and forth between two levels.

hysteresis

You might build in a little hysteresis to prevent the system from constantly hopping back and forth between two levels.

Correct.

In the KVGC relays that is programmed in.

Usually set at 45 seconds top avoid unnecessary switching for minor voltage dips

Guys, its like this project is getting tight for me. Before this, i worked on a personal project with some of you guys and it was a success. Now am looking for design project ideas for my final year at university. I would like to do something concerning power systems and/or equipment. Please advise me on the best possible projects.

Thanks in advance

Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back