Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automatic switching of my model train direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

cronjet

It is with great expectations that I registered with this forum. I know very little about electronics.

I want to build a short length of approximately 1 meter railway for my nscale (1:160) trains. When the locomotive comes to a certain point on the railway line I want it to stop automatically for a few seconds and then it should automatically start going backwards again to a point where it again stops automatically for a few seconds and then move back again. So what it should do is automatically move between the two points on the line by itself.

I usually use a 12 volt 1 amp transformer with which the speed of the train could be increased and decreased. The power from the transformer to the locomotive goes via the two metal rails of the railway line on which the train runs and is picked up by the metal wheels of the locomotive.

The switches that I consider to use where the train has to stop at the different points are those small magnetic ones. By glueing a small magnet under the train, the magnet switches will break the power circuit when the train gets to that point, but how do I build an electronic circuit that would then change the circuit polarity so that the train automatically starts moving backwards after it stopped for a few seconds? I am also not sure whether there are better than the small magentic ones.

I will really appreciate advice to complete this electronic project of mine.

Regards

Tom

Last edited:
Thank You

blueroomelectronics said:
Lots of model train electronics on this site.
**broken link removed**

Thank you very much , I found the answers on the website that you referred me to.

Regards

Tom

Thank You For Model Train Advice

Bill,

Thank you for the reference to the website. I got all the information there.

Regards

Tom:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back