Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automatic Battery Charger in range 6V to 24V by using PIC16F877A

Status
Not open for further replies.

atokkg

Hello everyone,
I'm working on my school assignment (mini project) to develop an automatic battery charger that can detect and charge automatically the battery in the 3 typical range (6V ,12V and 24V) without using the selectable switch. The existing manual battery charger need to use the selectable voltage (6V,12V and 24V) and Current (1A to 5A) before charging.

The Auto battery charger:
-without selectable voltage and current (automatic detect the battery either 6V or 12V or 24V)
-add indication such as led and analogue/digital volt&Amp meter to indicate the battery level (low,full,fault battery,ampere,volt and the typical battery(auto))
-using microcontroller IC such as PIC16F877A as intelligence.
-additional-using LabVIEW to monitor the status on charging.

Please can someone help me and how to do the automated battery charger schematics,block diagram or else so,this mini project can be done. Your help is much appreciated.

cetot
atokkg@yahoo.co.uk

Attachments

• Auto Battery Charger.jpg
    Auto Battery Charger.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 1,262
  • 680Fig06.gif
    680Fig06.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,217
It looks like you aready have a good idea.
But, There is no way to tell the amp hour rating of the battery to determine the maximum current that it can be charged at. Are all the batteries to be charged the same size? If not what is the largest and the smallest?

PowerSteam
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I'm not sure whether all type of battery can be charge within the same battery charger since different battery have different characteristic. There is float and boost circuit that can control the maximum current and voltage of the battery but I not sure how to do it and there circuit look liked? The boost circuit can increase the current in a certain time (temperature will rise if the batteries reach at maximum level). I plan to use the same type of battery but different voltage (6V, 12 and 24V)
If anyone can share the schematic and diagrams? And where can I find any information and circuit, it is better to understand.

Are you modifying a charger or do you need to build one or design one? If the paper is blank it would be best to use an ic made for the purpose.

Hi atokky,
First of all welcome to the forum :)

Now as you have stated this is a school project, don't expect us to just give you a circuit that will do the job as that will defeat the whole purpose of you learning. Now thats out of the way....

In order to sense what voltage the battery is you will need to use 3 ADC pins each with a resistive divider to drop the voltage to suit the ADC pin. Now assuming the maximum charge is 5 amps once you know what voltage battery is in the voltage for each battery will have a float value which the voltage will be monitored by the ADC pin that is the battery voltage.

It's upto you to research the spec's for each battery voltage and make a start on the pic program and schematic.

Once you have done that then post what your upto and what problems you have and members will be happy to help including myself.

A project of this nature is very advanced and the more research and work YOU provide will possibly ensure a successful project for your school project.

Regards Bryan

hai all..
intresting project,
bryan:how the 3 ADC pin function operation?can could you explain more detail.. there have any references about the ADC pin??

TQ

hi bryan1,
you are right but i still process in learning (beginner) for this.Actually,I not major in electronic,that why i need help on this especially on basic requirement.
Could you let me know how the ADC can sense the voltage battery? If the battery totally damage,how it can be determine?

Regard,
atokkg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back