Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automatic Audio Input Selector

Status
Not open for further replies.

smit6089

I am not totally green to electrical circuits but I am still a complete rookie. I have something in mind that I am wanting to build but I have no idea where to start. So I came here in hopes of finding some guidance.

What I'm wanting to build is an automatic audio input selector. I want to have INPUT A to play though OUTPUT unless INPUT B has a signal. When INPUT B has a signal I want it to be the output.

Example... I would have a CB radio and my PC output hooked into this device and this device would in turn be hooked into my speakers. All though standard 1/8 audio jacks. The PC audio will play through the speakers unless someones voice comes over the CB in which the CB would play over the speakers instead of the PC...

I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't please ask questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated, a diagram would be a godsend. Thank you all for your time.

I thank you very much for your reply. And indeed a VOX circuit is a good start to what I am looking for. But how would I use this circuit to stop an input and play another input. To be quite honest I work for a retail chain and my job title requires I wear a two way radio but I am hoping to find a way to listen two an mp3 player through my two way radio headset while maintaining it's functionality. maybe I am too much of a rookie to see how to use the VoX circuit but any more help would be much appreciated.

Are you up to building a circuit with an opamp, diodes, resistors, capacitors?

Have you thought about just using a simple resistive combiner that simply sums the two audio signals to one set of headphones.?

Does the two-radio have an LED which lights while it is receiving a signal?

Two way on left and MP3 on the right side of haed phones? This is a simple mater of a spliter. Andy

This is a very quick visual of what I'm wanting to do.

**broken link removed**

I just want music to play though the headset unless the radio receives a signal. I want to do this without altering the radio in any way. I am capable of building basic circuits I just really am not sure where to get started.

Any more ideas or suggestions? And thank you to all you have posted. . . I'm just hoping I can get this thing figured out.

Well, this may work for you. I just threw it together (Have not built it). Seems to work with simulations.

Here is the sim output and schematic.

voxsim.gif

The parts can be obtained from digikey.

Digi-Key Just type PN in search window, ie. dg441

Important data sheets.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/11/fn3281.pdf
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/11/LM193.pdf

The pot is to adjust threshold for radio detection.

Attachments

• vox.png
    vox.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 558
Last edited:
This circuit is a mono switcher. For stereo sources, I would simply run two of these, or is there a better solution? JL Audio has a version of what I want. It is the CL-SES. However, I want a portable self contained unit using 3.5mm input and output jacks. I would like a minimal footprint. I have an associates in electronics engineering technology, but that has been awhile and it has only been the basics that I have used as a service technician. I want to hook up an iPhone and a Sat Radio for inputs and the output runs to the front panel aux-in jack of the head unit. I would prefer a more integrated approach with everything hard wired, but money and one being a company car prevents that. If I get the CL-SES, I can do what I want. I will have to get the 3.5mm to RCA adapters and wire up a lighter power adapter. The CL-SES can be had for less than $100. Should I build exactly what I want, or should I just get the commercial product?

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm looking for something that can do exactly what smit6089 brought up. Switch from audio A to audio B when something comes across on B.

I'm just some schmuck who knows diddly about how I would make this work. Not an engineer and have a pretty (re: VERY) basic knowledge of electronics.

If you guys could point me in the right direction that would be awesome. Or hell, if someone would be willing to build me a unit that could do this, I'd be willing to pay for services. Shoot me a PM if interested in the latter to work out details.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back