Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automated Light Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

arien

Hello. I’m a student currently taking up electronics engineering course, we have this electronic design subject and we have proposed an automatic light control system as our design. The system is supposed to be implemented inside rest rooms. I just want to ask, is it true that turning on and turning off lights very often will decrease the life span of light? It would be a great help if you would give me any suggestion/s, comment/s and any related literature/s regarding this matter, it will surely help us in our defense. Thanks a lot. :)

arien said:
Hello. I’m a student currently taking up electronics engineering course, we have this electronic design subject and we have proposed an automatic light control system as our design. The system is supposed to be implemented inside rest rooms. I just want to ask, is it true that turning on and turning off lights very often will decrease the life span of light? It would be a great help if you would give me any suggestion/s, comment/s and any related literature/s regarding this matter, it will surely help us in our defense. Thanks a lot. :)

Hi,
A recent 'Myth Busters' TV program carried out tests on various lighting systems and the conclusion was that constant switching shortened the life
of a lamp by such a small fraction that it was not significant.

Also the saving on the cost of the electricity outweighed the cost in shortening the life of the lamp.

Eric

Hello

Hi Sir!

Thank you very much for your reply. It would be a big help in our defense. Godbless. :)

arien

An incandescent light bulb has been tuned on in Alaska for 60 years. It was never turned off.
When i used incandescent light bulbs, they always blew out when they were turned on, never while they were already on.

There is a huge surge of current through the cold filament until it reaches its very high operating temperature and much lower current.

Years and years and years ago, they sold an NTC resistor that allowed an incandescent bulb to start dim then it got brighter as the thermistor heated.

They said it was also used to extend the life of amplifiers with vacuum tubes.

sir can you give me the details of project and working of automatic room liht controller with visitor counter,,
i have with me circuits of receiver and transmitter

Using a dimmer switch should prolong the life of a bulb as it reduces the turn on time.

I haven't noticed any difference in incandescent bulbs I switch frequently and ones that are always on...

But I have noticed that when they get old, they always die when they are turned on, never after they have been on for a while.

I think the sudden rise in temperature breaks the weakened filament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back