Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Auto testing of a product

Status
Not open for further replies.

haqq

I have a product testing line with 30 products (1KW each) plugged in at the same time and after completion of the test, all these items are plugged off at the same time.
I need to automate this process i.e:
Turn on all the 30 items at the same time
turn off after completion of required testing time
Reset timer automatically to start the cycle again

Kindly guide me how to achieve this objective.

Can you power all 30 from a common bus fed from a suitably-rated contactor?

Can you isolate that mains circuit from all other loads?
Can you install a separate mains circuit for use solely by the test set-up?

There's a lot of info missing.

Note: Simultaneous power on could impact utility charges and not be good. 1 KW is a fair amount of power, so your talking 30 kW.

You failed to mention the mains voltage and even the order of magnitude for time. So, I'll take this as a "burn-in test" or on for a specific amount of time to see if problems exist.

You could consider monitoring current. Just a thought.

Easy way is a large contractor feeding a breaker box. AFCI's/GFCI's or combination are possible. Indicating breakers are possible with the right box.

If you want to roll your own, I'd suggest a smart relay because you can display say the time left for the test.
Your buttons could be start/stop and emergency off. Emergency off would kill the contactor. Tecor and IDEC and one manufacturer has smart relays. IDEC has a simulator.

So if the time was like 10 minutes, then the fanciness would not be necessary. But if the time was in hours, I would think more functionality would be needed.

e.g. An alarm as to when the test is complete.

Logging current over time is even more complex. Turning off bad ones is even more complex.

If you loook at your testing with the following additude:
1) What would I like it to do if i had all the money and time available?
2) What must it do?
3) What do I need now?

You may be able to design an upgradeable system.

What if ultimate was:

1) power up devices every 10s to minimize power spikes.
2) Power them down in the reverse order
3) Monitor and log current consumption of the devices and shut down errant ones.
4) Alarm if a device has to be dropped out.
5) Detect breaker trips either by a contact in the breaker or by current consumption.
6) Alarm a few minutes before test is over.

These are very different specs than what you started with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back