Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Auto switch to speaker if no headphones plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.

bestcallumuk

How can I make something that outputs from a speaker but when headphones are plugged in switch to them only? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Can you do it with a normal female headphone socket? I'm modding an iPod! I have a 30GB iPod 5G video with a CF card in place of the HD to save some space and then putting a 80GB rear panel for even more space so that I can fit an internal speaker. Thanks again!

Can you do it with a normal female headphone socket? ...

What do mean by this? 1/8" stereo TRS jack? If so, they are available with built-in switches. However, it the one you are replacing is PCB-mounted, this will be difficult if not impossible. If you can mount the new jack in the clear, on a panel, then you can do it.

Yes I mean 1/8 but I cannot swap the socket as the iPod has a socket that fits well at the top of the device. Is there another way to switch?

Make a cord with an 1/8" stereo plug on it, plug it into the IPOd and leave it there. Do the switching at a remote panel-mounted 1/8" jack, near the speakers. That way if you are using the headphones, the speakers get muted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back