Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Auto door lock system

Status
Not open for further replies.

t.o.

It happened last Sunday. It was raining and a lady got a flat tyre. Three of us acted as gentlemen and started to help. We took the spare tyre and the tooling out. The nuts were hard to remove and one of us suggested to steel the wheel to the proper position. So, we asked the lady to have the key and we steeled the wheel in proper position and we forgot the key. Suddenly, we heard the sound of the central lock. The key was locked inside the car and the lady did not have the spare key or the remote to open the door. As a result, she needed to call the road service. It was Sunday and she had waited for two hours before the road service guy came.

I am a bit worry for such "Auto door lock" design. What happen if a baby was locked inside the car. If I deliver someone home and went outside the car with the key and engine running. Or simply I deliver mail to the post stand and forgot the key.

I have a car with an alarm like that, too clever for its own good!
It is an "aftermarket" alarm which was fitted when the car was new as it lived in the Teesside area where they steal them all the time!.

This thing would lock the doors on its own, setoff the alarm when you were loading the shopping into the back if you had not opened the drivers door first.
It would alarm in the night for no good reason.
In the end I just set it into "service mode" where the alarm functions are disabled, and I have not had any trouble with it since!

JimB

My car (Ford Fairmont) has an autolock feature. It will automatically lock the door if, after unlocking them with the remote, no door is opened within 20 seconds. The idea is to stop the situation where I put the keys in my pocket and accidentally unlock the car as I walk away. It's impossible to lock the keys in the car with this system. My wife's car (Land Cruiser) is the same.

Mike.

My car has a central lock, but with the keys in it will not lock! Or you mean just laying inside the car? May be.
About the alarm, my neighbor has an alarm system triggers when the car shacked, nosy kids discovered this and it became their daily entertainment all day and night. That made him to give no attention.
I have told him it is useless, even if it being theft you will give no attention.

It's really a matter of using existing technologies.

I can envision...
Sensors to detect if an occupant is present, combined with Radio freq tagging that about to explode in everything we see or touch, combined with some well thought security protocols and then put together in a pleasing package that before long, we'll simply wonder how we ever lived without!

But all that's two years behind from these misadventurers stand point. (So note to self "Carry second set of keys at all times effective immediately!")

As far as Mr. JimB's problematic alarm system. I am sorry it was more a pain than it was worth to you. I've installed numerous systems both in automobiles and in permanent locations. Quality systems tend to have fewer false alarms, especially if care was taken by an experienced installer. But when there is an unacceptable false alarm rate it needs to be corrected! I see you did in a way huh? LOL

False alarms give the alarm industry a bad rep. I guess I would feel that way huh?

Glad to see your the kind of gent who would stop to give a hand where it's needed! **hats off to you sir**

t.o. said:
I am a bit worry for such "Auto door lock" design. What happen if a baby was locked inside the car. If I deliver someone home and went outside the car with the key and engine running. Or simply I deliver mail to the post stand and forgot the key.

If a baby was in the car, you could call the local police. (here in the State's anyway). I've had to call them on a few occasions back when I worked at a gas station.

jrz126 said:
If a baby was in the car, you could call the local police. (here in the State's anyway). I've had to call them on a few occasions back when I worked at a gas station.

Years back a friend of mine used to work for a local garage, and these two policeman came in and PAID him to go out and break in their police car :D

They had locked the keys inside, and didn't dare to go back and admit it! :p

Nigel Goodwin said:
Years back a friend of mine used to work for a local garage, and these two policeman came in and PAID him to go out and break in their police car :D

They had locked the keys inside, and didn't dare to go back and admit it! :p

hahahahaha, nice,,

It shoud be possible to disable this, for the pople who dont want it to happend..

Like a switsh inside the car..

I had a friend that put a magnetic reed switch behind the wheel well that tied to his door locks. And a magnetic keyholder in another area (with no key in it). If he locked the keys in the car, he could wave the magnet near that spot and open the door locks.

General Motors has their gimmick OnStar system available on certain upper line vehicles. It will notify an OnStar Operator if air bags deployed, indicating a possible accident, or you can call them to unlock your doors etc. It has it's uses and does cost a monthly subscription fee for the service. One commercial for them advertises a woman who left her motor running and the doors locked behind her while her baby is still in the car!! My first thought is how stooopid can GM be, to allow the doors to lock while the vehicle isn't moving and with the motor running!!!:confused: :mad:
It makes a whole lot more sense to me to do what Daimler Chrysler does ... have the central 'puter not lock doors when it senses headlights on, keys left in the ignition, a certain amount of weight on the seats, etc. The only impossible scenario woud be is if you removed the keys and set them on the seat, locked the doors, then closed it accidentally. OnStar is stupid and costly and technically, you can be tracked throughout your travels. People could simply hide a spare key somewhere in a secure area outside the passenger compartment. I do that it it's worked twice for me and both times I was far from home in another city.... whew, very handy to have that time saving spare key!! And anymore today most folks have cell phones so why would I want a third party to phone for help at an accident when I can do it myself or bystanders are typically around to render assistance. GM is full of $hit with some of their ideas and the very reason they are in a world of financial hurt, not to mention their overly lucrative pensions have now come home to roost on them!!

OnStar = Big Brother

OnStar has its amusing uses though.. I still remember hearing a story about OnStar detecting some condition where they thought a vehicle in FL was stolen (I think someone pushed the button but didn't respond), and when they tried to contact the occupant/owner, they'd get no response (turns out he had it turned down so he couldn't hear the OnStar people talking). Anyway, OnStar called the police, told them a stolen vehicle was at X location, and when they showed up, the truck wasn't stolen, and the owner was sitting in the driver's seat, with his girlfriend in the passenger seat. All fine and good, until the cops noticed that the duo were doing coke lines on the center console.

ha ha ha, busted! I bet he cancelled his subscription to OnStar soon afterward. I forgot that it's also used to locate a stolen vehicle. But then who cares, it's not GM vehicles that are often stolen, it's Honda, Toyota, Acura, BMW, Mitsubishi, etc. you know, the brands that are reliable and carry a higher resale value. I still won't accept the fact that OnStar actually advertises the scenarios of people being locked out with their keys in the ignition and engine running. That advertises nothing more than a design flaw from the start. Then again, if GM followed Daimler's lead, they wouldn't be able to sell OnStar. Pretty soon OnStar will guide the driver on how to start the car, select a forward gear, put foot on accelerator pedal, and place hands on steering wheel while rotating it either left or right. If you fail, OnStar will disable the motor and dispatch the nearst available driver ed. instructor.

It is also a true story. A guy used his key to open the door to get inside. He forgot the key and the doors locked by themselves. The round knobs of the doors went all the way inside. So, he could not open the door by pulling the round knob. He also forgot the central doors open button. He looked like a monkey that was locked inside the car.

How times have changed....

A friend of my dad's lives in Finland. A few years ago, he was going on holiday to the Algarve, and decided the best way to get the 200 miles to the airport in Helsinki was drive his car (a fairly new one at that). On arriving at the airport he left his car on the road outside, the keys in the ignition - a note on the dash saying "back in two weeks" - and off he went....

On his return, the car was almost exactly where he'd left it, keys in the ignition, a full tank of fuel and a few more miles on the clock - with a note saying "kiitos" (thankyou).

Apparently this was the norm at the time over there!

As for auto-relocking centra locing, I keep my keys on a hook tied to my jeans - never had a problem with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back