Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

audiophile power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you need plus and minus 24V at 1A?? That is 48W! The total of 48V is too high for most preamp circuits.
A preamp needs only a few milliamps at plus and minus 5V to plus and minus 15V.

Why do you need plus and minus 24V at 1A?? That is 48W! The total of 48V is too high for most preamp circuits.
A preamp needs only a few milliamps at plus and minus 5V to plus and minus 15V.

You obviously haven't looked at the PDF he linked to AG, the design can be built for various voltages, with 48V being the highest one.

thats why I said
and some other stuff

Crossover draws about 40mA, but there is also some relais hanging on 12 V for soft start of the amps. Its rather an active amp. Relais are said to take 150mA, need 4, so thats 600mA already.

Does your preamp need a dual supply?
Seems your relays and crossover are single supplys.

High current relays do not need a regulated and well-filtered supply. They can use the unregulated DC at the input of the regulators. Then the regulators work better and are cooler.

crossover needs symmetric, relais not. Hm, could get away with 2 x 6 V transformer or 1 x 12 V for relais and crossover gets 2 x 12 V, 100mA. Am just worried about ground issues, then I have 3 transformers. One for crossover, one for relais, one for the amps. Ground troubles mean noise.

Last edited:
thanks for that. But would be nice if I could get some help on my relay / power supply question. Next thing would be, if my relays and the crossover hang on one transformer, then I need 2 power supplys. One for symmetric 12 V, the other just for +12 V, just flip the negative halvwave over? Otherwise I sense troubles, if I was only to take 1 A from the positive and 0 from the negative half wave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back