Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio Switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaw174

I have been given the task of making a switch for the output of our audio mixer. i need this so i can swith betweene two sets of speakers. this circuit needs to have as little "noise" when switchging, so i thought i would use a digital-ish switch that mutes the output, switches the connection, then unmutes,
Or, a circuit that uses opamps or transistors that it feeds the signal too, and by powering one or the the other, i can control which path the audio goes..

anyone have any ideas?
thanks

Jaw174 said:
I have been given the task of making a switch for the output of our audio mixer. i need this so i can swith betweene two sets of speakers. this circuit needs to have as little "noise" when switchging, so i thought i would use a digital-ish switch that mutes the output, switches the connection, then unmutes,
Or, a circuit that uses opamps or transistors that it feeds the signal too, and by powering one or the the other, i can control which path the audio goes..

anyone have any ideas?

You need to give more details, so far you're not making much sense:

1) You say output of your mixer (assumption line level).

2) You say speakers (assumption speaker high level).

3) You say muting transistors (assumption line level again).

So what and where are you trying to do!.

If one path has a signal then the audio will "POP" if it is abruptly switched on or off. Use a gradual fade down or fade up to stop the "POP" sound.

Some digital volume controls have a circuit that detects "zero crossing" of the signal which is when they switch to avoid noise.

yea

this is for one output, low, XLR balanced signal level. it will be split between two line level outputs, which are a. powered speakers, or b. amplifyer with speakers, so two xlr balanced outs with a switch, with no pops or loudness (these are high quality Genelec speakers.. german something, $pen$ive)

soo, any specific chip types i should use... or.. maby a schematic kicking around somewhere?

thanks!

u can use cd4066, cd4051 etc. if u need a vol control like purpose u can select ds1669. doubt its availability.

The old DS1669 is a linear rheostat, not a stereo logarithmic volume control like newer digital pots.

The "THAT2180LC" Voltage controlled amplifier is a high quality solution if you need volume control. I have one, but never actually got mine to work. Must be static damage or something :( . Designed for studio mixers and similar anyhow, so its a good quality device :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back