Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio Switch project help

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 4PDT would have allowed the LED's too. if you go through the selection guide, you might have found something else. We can't read minds yet: i.e. 4PDT switch that looks like x. I've used these flat handle miniature switches and I liked them.

Here's a tiny little refinement to your circuit: arrange it so that the relay is energized only when you select the lesser-used input source. (In other words, route the most-used source through the NC set of contacts.) That will keep the relay off most of the time and extend its life (and lower power consumption).
As an added note, you want to have the relay powered from the ignition switch so the relay doesn't drain power when the engine is off.

Thanks for the pointers on powering the relay. I had planned on switching the less used item with the relay, primarily because I want this to work if something were to happen to the power supply, if I am thinking correctly, with no power the relay will be resting on circuit one. That way I can unplug the usb if I need to use my second plug to charge or power another accessory. But good point on the relay life and power draw.

I'm tossing around the idea of triggering a separate usb switch what would change power from the second output to my switch when needed, that way I could share the plug. I don't want to split the second outlet, as it is only .5a on each side. But that's a whole other project. I'll post up plans if I go that route. ( I really need to spring on a 1amp output split usb charger, but hey, I'm cheap :lol:)

As for powering from the ignition, I will be using a 5v usb plug in my console, it's switched with the ignition. But thanks for the heads up.

I got everything in on Monday and put this together last night. It works great! I still have to permanently install it into the case, but I tested it with everything wired up and soldered and it worked just like planned. With no power it defaults to Source 1 (the NC circuit) just as planned.

I ordered two relays and the first one didn't seem to work, It seemed like the relay switch was crossed or something, the audio went through both channels. So I plug in my other relay and it worked great. For <$2 a relay, I guess I can expect a bad one here and there ;)

I'll post up a couple pics when I install it into the case, hopefully I'll get that done tonight.

Thanks everyone for all the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back