Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio Switch box (without switch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davebordon

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to electronics and was wondering if it was possible to do the following:

I have several devices that all need to run into my (somewhat outdated) home theatre. I have an Xbox360, Xbox1, PS2, Latop and TV and only one set of stereo inputs for the home theatre.

I have considered buying an AV switch box, but because I only need the audio RCAs and not the video plugs, I'd be buying stuff I didn't really need. Also, I'd like to not have to get off the couch to switch the switch box over as most inexpensive ones require.

What I'd like to do is have a switch box that has 5 pairs of RCA inputs and 1 pair of RCA outputs. I'd also like to have it not need to be switched over to output the correct signal.

I have done some basic testing with RCA splitters and such and have found the if certain devices are not removed from the loop, they seem to ground the signal from other devices and the sound does not make to the amp.

I'm pretty sure there is an easy way to do this with diodes or something that will stop the devices grounding eachothers audio signals. Does anyone know if this is possible, or do I need a manual switch box.

I'm not too bad with a soldering iron, and I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty. I just don't know all the theory behind electronics components.

I realise that if this does work that I will be able to hear a few devices at once as it wouldn't have a switch. But it's easier to hit "stop" on the remote than it is to get off the couch and switch the box over!

Thanks,

Dave

I think you need some kind of microcontroller to sense if there is signal comming from any of the inputs, make priorities and connect the right one with the output. Also code the case when multiple signals are received simuntaneously. If you don't wanna do all that stuff, buy the AV switch box and end of the problem, its cheaper and less frustrating

What I'd like to do is have a switch box that has 5 pairs of RCA inputs and 1 pair of RCA outputs. I'd also like to have it not need to be switched over to output the correct signal.
How would this box know what the correct signal is, if you have two or more sources at the inputs at the same time?
Are you implying that only one source will present at a time?
There are ways to do this if only one audio is present. You can have each audio in port detect for audio such as a comparator and activate a passive or mechanical switch. If more than one audio is present you would have to have some sort of priority circuit to choose.

Don't they make audio switch boxes? How hard can it be to get up off the sofa and flip a switch?

For at least 100 years, home stereos have had many inputs that are switched by remote control. So nobody sells remote switchers anymore.

It would take a few hours to design one, a few hours to order the parts and another few hours to make one.

That seems a lot more complicated than I thought it would be.
I think I'm better off just buying an AV switch box.

Thanks everyone!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back