Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio source relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

demitrix

Wow this forum looks really promising, and if so then this should be a sinch for all you guys. What im looking to build is a way to switch between two audio sources, automatically. One output is an iPod and the other is a walky-talkie, now the tricky part. I need the iPod to play straight through to a headset, but when the radio chimes in I need the iPod to be bypassed and for the radios signal to play through to the headset. Its a single ear piece so i dont need stereo capabilities. Thanks much.

Usually a walky will have a COR light that comes on when it recieves a signal. You could wire the signal from this light to a small relay via a transistor.
If you don't want to MOD the walky, then you'll need a VOX circuit to trip the relay. Google for a VOX circuit.

Ha never thought about using vox, that would provide me with enough power to switch a relay, but my next question is, is a relay the best way to switch the audio sources or is there something else i could use, i want the device to be pretty small. Maybe using another comparator to actually switch the b/w the two sources.

I recall a simple squelch design that was simply a capacitor connected to the audio output of a weather radio. The no-signal noise output from the capacitor was sufficiently different from signal-present output to trigger or not trigger a mute circuit. You might employ a capacitor and LM339 or similar comparator to drive a relay.

A relay is probably the best solution. Trying to use an IC or something could lead to distortion etc. Whereas a relay phsically changes the connection.
They make some pretty small relays that would be able to handle this low power application.

Use a DG409 analog switch. Has high fidelity, and is used in data aquisition systems with high resolution with no problems.

Aight so if i combine the vox circuit with the DG409 i should be set to go then right? Ill draw up a visio schematic and post it to make sure im 100% sure on whats being described, Thanks for all the help...

Ok heres the schematic i ended up with in visio, only a few questions. For VCC that could be a 9v battery correct? And all the ground would be the negative terminal on the battery right? And on the DG408(which i chose for its single output) the V+ and V- could be just the battery + and - too correct?

**broken link removed**

The bottom half is a vox circuit i got from **broken link removed** i left out the resistance and such just for ease of looking at but everything is there.

Last edited:
For the 408 or 409, a bipolar supply is necessary if you have a signal that is bipolar. So if your audio source goes both neg. and positive, then you must have a +9, -9 on the chip, or whatever voltage you pick within its range.

How would i be able to generate the negative voltage, ive never dealt with it before, i quit EET after 1 term, kinda wish i woulda stuck around now.

The on-resistance of the DG408 is far too high to drive a speaker.
You would need a separate power amplifier to drive the speaker then any Cmos analog gate can switch the line-level signals to the amplifier.

audioguru said:
The on-resistance of the DG408 is far too high to drive a speaker.
You would need a separate power amplifier to drive the speaker then any Cmos analog gate can switch the line-level signals to the amplifier.

Yes, I was assuming the OP was using line level signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back