Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio signal operated PTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

fliggygeek

Hi, I am looking at making an automatic PTT system for a radio base station i am making, i have seen a few comparator based circuits for sensig nthe audio levels, is this the way to go? I want very prompt on/off times, so i need to have fast rise times etc. Any Ideas?

Most VOX (Voice Operated Switch) circuits clip off the first syllable of a word making speech difficult to understand. They also respond to noise.

responding to noise would be perfect, as this is a bridge to a UHF radio, provided you set the squelch to a proper setting, the only noise to come through will be static. this is only sent through when the radio is active, so might be perfect.

Most VOX (Voice Operated Switch) circuits clip off the first syllable of a word making speech difficult to understand.
A solution to that would be to add a short audio delay circuit (perhaps a few tenths of a second). That would give the VOX circuit time to turn on the transmitter before the first syllable reaches the transmitter input. Of course this would add complexity to the circuit.

It could perhaps be done with a codec circuit and some RAM or perhaps a lip-sync delay IC.

In the old days you could use a bucket-brigade IC for an audio delay but don't think they are used much anymore. Did find an NTE1641 which apparently is still available with each IC capable of a maximum delay of 51ms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back