Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TtOoWwAa

A). Would a 1/4 or a 1/8 TRRS to USB adapter work with 3.1 speakers and would you need software to make it work?, also what would the software be like, would it come with the product or could it be scripted from a good programmer and made available for download from a reliable website or a few websites or could it be a application that does not run very smoothly or doesn't work at all and is available unprofessionally from the programmers website or from a free file hosting and downloading website?.
Can you use an adapter like this that has more than one jack or with different types of jacks such as Toslink, XLR, RCA, etc?
Also would I have to use a sound card instead of an adapter to get the data outputted from USB to TRRS

---------

Background:
B). If you put a piece of clear optical cable inside a 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch jack adapter so that It is flush with the tip of the adapter and light get exit the adapter if plugged in and then plugged a 1/8 inch Toslink cable into that adapter and plugged the 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter in the computer jack, (the other end of the 1/8 inch Toslink cable is the square Toslink type connector and it has a light transmitter and receiver for that square type port (on the TV for example)) and in the computers 1/4 inch jack there's also a light transmitter and receiver for the optical cable.
Question:
Would the light be able to pass through the main optical cable and through to the piece of optical cable that is plugged in the 1/8 to 1/4 adapter?, and would you lose quality of the audio from some photons not reaching the TV port receiver? (Computer is outputting the optical data and the TV is inputting it), or not reaching the computer port receiver (TV is outputting the optical data, pc is inputting it).

---------

C). If I plugged an electric guitar into a guitar amplifier by TRRS jack and plugged the output jack of the amp into the input jack of the PC and TRRS to USB adapter, could i get a signal to the pc, also will i need to use software based signal amplitude and gain limiters so if you turn the guitar amplifier dials up too much you won’t damage the pc?, will a solid state amp, and a valve amp work fine? And will a bass amp work also?.

---------

D). In Garageband when recording, either using a microphone/ microphones or using output to input (line in), I get a feedback error, even when the feedback reduction is turned on if I play what is being recorded through my computer speakers in real-time to when its recording.
Is there a way that I can stop this from happening? Will using my external speakers or amplifier/amplifiers with the TRRS to USB adapter work?

---------

For further reference:
I am currently using: (except for in question B.)
An Apple Macbook pro, Logitech X3 3.1 speakers, Fender super champ (valve) amplifier, Fender 15G (solid state) amplifier, Ashdown aftereight (solid state) bass amplifier,1/8 and 1/4 inch TRRS jacks and 1/8 and 1/4 inch TRRS cables.
And for software, I am currently using Apple's Garageband to record, edit and change some settings and the Apple Mac OSX system preferences for the other audio settings.

I will attach some images and diagrammes to this post soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back