Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Hello everyone, im back once again. This time i had a idea and would love to bring it to life.. I want to make a USB device (simple) which will take a AUDIO source as input and i can hear it through my PC. (HARD) .. Like basically a LINE IN but via USB... The main goal of this is. I have a MP3 Player which i carry around with me but dont want to unplug my speakers for PC everytime.. so i want to be able to take the audio from the player and use it on my PC

So i dont know where to start for this?

Im sure i will need some type of ADC to convert the Analog Audio to Digital Data correct? Should i use a External ADC ? or internal? How fast? How many bits? You see where im getting lost at right?

I know nothing of Audio but i do know a bit on the USB stuff.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, im back once again. This time i had a idea and would love to bring it to life.. I want to make a USB device (simple) which will take a AUDIO source as input and i can hear it through my PC. (HARD) .. Like basically a LINE IN but via USB... The main goal of this is. I have a MP3 Player which i carry around with me but dont want to unplug my speakers for PC everytime.. so i want to be able to take the audio from the player and use it on my PC

So i dont know where to start for this?

Im sure i will need some type of ADC to convert the Analog Audio to Digital Data correct? Should i use a External ADC ? or internal? How fast? How many bits? You see where im getting lost at right?

I know nothing of Audio but i do know a bit on the USB stuff.

Just buy one - it's called a USB sound card, I use a Behringer one, which also has switched phono-preamps inside - but there are many different makes, probably all based around the same chipsets?.

Hey Nigel, na i cant just buy one... I also plan to add other things to this project... Like a User interface with a FM radio etc..

Then buy one and then plug a radio in to it :D

Why reinvent the wheel?, you probably can't source the chips used, and if you could it's probably more expensive than buying it complete.

Don't forget, Windows supports the chipsets used - if you design your own (far more expensive) circuit, then you will have to write all the Windows USB drivers etc.

Genius! lol i forgot i can simply plug it into the audio in ... thanks Nigel! Any recommendations?

Mine's a Behringer UF0202 with switched turntable inputs, my daughter's (which is older) is a different make, and has digital audio in/out as well. The Behrigner came with loads of free software.

Like I said, I suspect they are the same chipset and seem to work equally well (my daughter has used her's for recording some gigs she engineered, on an old Toshiba laptop).

Cant find it online really but i bet it cost a ton... look at this:
**broken link removed**

Under $2

I can get like 5 of them and have fun. :) Might get a USB Hub IC or something this way i can put this USB Part along with mines in 1 box

Last edited:
Nigel reinventing the wheel is a good thing also... dont forget... How many different cell phones are out there? and they all do the same thing :) (most of them)

Cant find it online really but i bet it cost a ton... look at this:
**broken link removed**

Under $2

I can get like 5 of them and have fun. :) Might get a USB Hub IC or something this way i can put this USB Part along with mines in 1 box

Do they record?, or are they output only? - it's not very clear.

Here's a link to mine:

Hi Jason and Nigel
Could you just use a DPDT switch to switch from one input jack to the other? Also I've seen 4066 analog switches used as an input selector for stereo systems and boom boxes.

The 4066 will allow you to switch inputs using a digital signal without converting the audio to digital. If you just need to control where the audio goes and not manipulate the audio itself it may be something to look into. Converting the audio back and forth from analog to digital will degrade it. If you do need to manipulate the audio, then consider doing it with software on the PC.

I'll attach the datasheet. Even if you choose not to use it on this project, they are pretty handy to have. I found 6 of them in a stereo system I rescued from the trash. Since then I discovered two of the boom boxes I have contain 2 each. Should be pretty easy to get a couple for free.

Attachments

• 74hct4066.pdf
    157.7 KB · Views: 197
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back