Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

audio modulated SGTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't imagine. They have to work off of all that high frequency circuitry, all solid state. If you modulated the input transformer and then put that power through the tank circuit (caps and spark gap) to the coil, nothing would happen, I doubt. I don't know. Anyone?

Yergaderga is correct, you cannot audio modulate a spark gap Tesla coil. A SGTC uses a fixed frequency (determined by the tank capacitor and primary coil inductance) which is matched by the secondary circuit (secondary inductance and topload capacitance). In order to make the Tesla coil run properly, these two frequencies must remain constant and must be the same. In order to modulate the output you would need to vary the frequency, which you just can't do with the circuitry and high voltage used in SGTCs.

I recommend looking into DRSSTCs. They tend to be simpler than most other SSTCs and they allow for audio modulation.

Good luck!
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back