Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio ground isolation

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasvegasmale31

I am building a spectrum analyzer circuit (which works awesome by the way!) and need to figure out how to isolate the audio ground. When I was testing the circuit on the breadboard, I was running the analyzer on the breadboard and it worked flawlessly with an input from a car stereo and a separate power supply. Once I made the circuit on perfboard and soldered it together, it worked as well from a separate power supply.

The problem arose when I installed the display. When I connected the power and audio ground to the same supply as the car stereo, the audio ground shorts the radio output and I get no audio. My question is, is there a way to isolate the audio ground so that the radio signal will not be shorted?

I am at work so I don't have my schematic available, but I am hoping I have given enough info.

The car audio has a bridge output and neither output can be grounded (you can blow the amp if you do). You should be able to see a signal though from one of audio outputs to power ground, at least sufficient for your spectrum analyzer circuit.

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that, I'll give it a try. Would be nice if it works, I was originally thinking of using an audio isolation transformer, but your method sounds much simpler. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back