Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krisuk

I'm trying to design and build an effect pedal for the electric guitar for a university project.

I'm trying to achieve distortion using DSP rather than going down the analogue route. The problem is, my knowledge of DSP is non-existant. I don't know where to start. It's not so much the ADC process but the process of taking the clean signal from the electric guitar at the input and providing a distorted guitar tone at the output.

I have experience using microcontrollers but nothing past basic logic and timing applications.

Where do I start? I don't even know what microcontroller to use. The M16C, however, is one that is readily available but don't know if it's suitable.

I'm trying to design and build an effect pedal for the electric guitar for a university project.

I'm trying to achieve distortion using DSP rather than going down the analogue route. The problem is, my knowledge of DSP is non-existant. I don't know where to start. It's not so much the ADC process but the process of taking the clean signal from the electric guitar at the input and providing a distorted guitar tone at the output.

I have experience using microcontrollers but nothing past basic logic and timing applications.

Where do I start? I don't even know what microcontroller to use. The M16C, however, is one that is readily available but don't know if it's suitable.
There was an article about exactly this subject in one of the last couple months issues of either Everyday Practical Electronics or Elektor, I think. Or was it Circuit Cellar? Hmm... I'll look it up later tonight and post the answer.

The article does a complete project with schematics and code. There may even be PC boards available - can't remember.

EDIT: It's the November 2008 issue of Circuit Cellar. Article by Kit Church. He uses a dsPIC33FJ64GP206/PT. Sorry, no boards available. He says the project is fine to build on breadboard, but it will be much noisier than on a PC board, not that you'd be likely to notice it if you're doing distortion. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back