Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony-ellis

I want to use the output from an MP3 player to go to a loudspeaker, to broadcast bird song in the field - photography is the name of the game. I am told that the output from the MP3 is too weak to go direct to a loudspeaker, so needs boosting. Lokking at the Maplin (UK) site they list a universal pre-amp (N69AW) which seems to have four wires, and a number of amplifiers again each with four wires. Is this a simple matter of connecting the output from the MP3 to the input of the preamp; output from the preamp to the input of the amp, and the output from the amp to the loudspeaker.
As I say, the unit is to be used in the field, so will be battery powered and I would like to have a reasonable range of volume. One unit that is listed runs on 6v- 16v, will the voltage influence volume! It also suggests a 10k log pot for volume control - placed between the signal source and amp, would this be between the pre-amp and amp?

You probably don't need a preamp. The MP3 player will have a high enough signal to feed a volume control connected to the input of the power amplifier.

The supply voltage determines the highest sound level before clipping distortion is produced. I don't know if you an hear the harmonics produced when high frequencies are distorted, and I don't know if birds care about distortion. It might scare them away.

If you don't want to build anything, then just buy a pair of battery operated amplified speakers. You know the sort designed to be used with laptops and small mp3 players?

Like these:
**broken link removed**

But I wouldn't recommend Craplin, shop around you can buy louder better quality speakers for this price of even cheaper.

I don't think the photographer wants to wear those cheap and crappy tiny speakers for him to hear recordings of birds. I think he wants the sound to be loud and clear enough to attract birds.

You may well want a "bridge amplifier". A single-ended amplifier (which is very common) working off a 6v supply would be configured so that one terminal is 3v while the other swings from 6v to 0v. So the speaker sees +/-3V.

In a bridge configuration off of 6v, when there's no signal both speaker wires are at 3v. But with a signal, one wire will go to a higher voltage and one wire goes lower. So the peak signal is +6v on one wire and 0v on the other, and the speaker sees +/- 6v.

A cheap car stereo system, providing it has a aux in of course.

I wouldn't worry about quality too much as most birds can't hear past 5kHz, just record it onto tap and use a cheap portable cassette player.

tony-ellis: I'd second Hero999. My son left behind a pair of amplified speakers, battery powered, that were made for a portable radio or CD player. The sound is excellent, all things considered. Someone must still make those. Almost made to order for your application.

FYI - the batteries were installed internally but AC adapters could be attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back