Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclops_returns

I wanted to build an an amplifier, for powering two speakers (45w 4ohm, if that helps).

I'd like to make one that could run off one of those 12v rechargeable batteries.

Full power usage of the speakers is not what i'm looking for, just something loud. It is possible without being stupidly wasteful right?

I tried searching, but the one's i found either had a separate power supply, or had too low outputs.

Help? :)

There are many amplifier ICs made for driving 4 ohm speakers in cars and are powered by the car's "12V" battery.

A TDA7240A IC has an output at clipping of 14W into a 4 ohm speaker with a 13.8V supply. If the battery is being charged at 14.4V then the output at clipping is 15.5W. With the output clipping very badly with a 14.4V supply the output power is 20W. A pcb design is shown in its datasheet.

If you want more power then you need a higher supply voltage.

Sorry, I was a little unclear there. I didn't mean car batteries. Rather something of this type.

atbatt.com/product/20763/sla/interstate/sla1055/battery?utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=textlink-sla&utm_campaign=nextag2

I'd like to keep it portable. I don't think these can supply as much current. Is it possible to get anything between 10 - 20 watt output with such batteries, or am i asking for too much? And if yes, how long would it last?

Your little 12V lead-acid battery is extremely heavy for its low output. It is rated at only 5Ah so it will supply 0.5A for 10 hours.
Audio is never full blast all the time (except acid rock is) so the 30W maximum from a stereo amplifier has an average of only 3W to 6W. Then the battery will last for about 10 to 20 hours. I would use a much lighter Li-Po rechargeable battery.

so here you were timing the battery for the prior ic amp right? and i'm assuming i need two copies for stereo.
There is a TDA1554 car radio amplifier IC. It is a stereo amp but it gets too hot and has too many pins. It is much easier to cool and connect two TDA7240A mono amplifier ICs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back