Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ATX Power unit Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gayan Soyza

Has anybody short circuit the wires (Red +5v & Black 0v) in the computer power unit.I did it.....after removing from the computer.It blowed up.& also the main trip switch went off.

Its an ATX 350w Power unit.After blowed I checked inside the power section.Half of the power section was damaged.(from the fuse to 3 power transistors,some resistors,& caps) Luckily output switching section was saved.I wonder why.....

Same it will happen if a hard drive or some other drive short circuit inside the computer.It will blow up.I wonder is it a problem with my power unit or all other power units do the same.?

Not only the fuse in the power unit other parts also getting damaged due to output short circuit.

PSUs I have used don't do this, they just trip out internally and reset upon removing the power and re-powering them, certainly i've never experience miniature explosions with them :) Perhaps it is a problem with your PSU.

The power supply you used was poorly made, likley not to saftey specs. All PC supplies I have ever used detect trip and will safley after a power cycle be perfectly fine.
Even though they're not supposed to do this it is not uncommon. Power supplies tend to be manufactor using cheap hand labor using cheap components. Of all the parts of a computer it is something you should be spending the most on, not the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back