Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ATX power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpj111

I have a PC HP pavilion . I had a problem with its powersupply (150W). I replaced power supply with 400W. Worked 2 or 3 days and power supply died . Got a nother one from 2nd hand shop. It worked one day and died.
What could be the reason. You thin I ave a faulty motherboars.
When I connects anew powersupply it works one or two days then died.

Any ides much appreciated.

mpj111 said:
I have a PC HP pavilion . I had a problem with its powersupply (150W). I replaced power supply with 400W. Worked 2 or 3 days and power supply died . Got a nother one from 2nd hand shop. It worked one day and died.
What could be the reason. You thin I ave a faulty motherboars.
When I connects anew powersupply it works one or two days then died.

Any ides much appreciated.
It's something like 2 unisolated wires touching? Or a faulty conector? I had once a carbon track on the PCB (from a burned component)...could be trackss from al kind of materials. Check carefuly the comp's motherboard and conectors to HDD, CD-ROM etc. Might be something inside the HDD or so but I dought.

I'd get the "dead" psu's out and test them somewhere else first, just to make sure the PSU's are actually dead. If they aren't, then you probably have a duff connection or bad track/joint on your motherboard, and the process of changing PSU is temporarily fixing it. Like the previous poster said - check all your connections.

Its also possible that the motherboard is'nt giving a good "Power Good" signal back to the PSU. Do the LED's on the front of the box flick on momentarilly when you first connect power/switch on with a "dead" PSU?

The PSUs probably aren't dead, the internal fuse has probably just blown and is easy to fix.

Swapping the fuse doesn't FIX the problem! After several power supply swaps, it would be an amazing coincidence if it was JUST the fuse!

try to check the voltages first after switching on your PSU. It should be a +5v & +12v. However, check the fuse inside you might replace it a same rating.If you want repair it unscrew your PSu unit inside the cpu casing & take it out of it get a clip put the clip in the green one then ground it to any black color. check to see if the PSu starts if the fan is rotating the PSU unit might be good. If not open it try too see the obvious defective parts. thanks I hope this helps.

Madhouse said:
Swapping the fuse doesn't FIX the problem! After several power supply swaps, it would be an amazing coincidence if it was JUST the fuse!
Which fuse did you replace?

I was talking about the internal fuse in the power supply itself, it's normally PCB mounted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back