Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ATX Power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

HI.
if i want to use an ATX computer power supply to power an amplifier i made, is there a way i can connect it up so that i can have just an on/off switch to turn the power supply on and off? I dont know how ATX supplys work because they switch off when the motherboard tells it to or something. do they have an on/off input or something that i could hook up the 5 volt output through a switch and to this?

I don't know. Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Josh.

connect the green wire from the mother board connector to ground. there should be only one green wire.

This enables the main cicuit to switch on. When you disconnect the green wire, the power cuts. 5v will still be available but not at full current. ( this is why your mouse still glows even after you shut down the computer.

I mean You need the +12V out for amplifier. Keep in mind: +12V out not work properly when the +5V out haven't or light load. Most of case 1..3A dummy load on +5V (bulb) solve the problem.

Thanks fellas. Yeah i did need the +12V output. computer power supplies are ideal coz of the high current (like 15 Amps!). ive tried it out and the 5V output sits a bit high and the 12V output is a bit low until you load down the 5V. Then it worked perfectly and the 12V rail was regulated.

Thanks for your help.

Josh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back