Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ATX power supply question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vampyrewolf

Ok, here's a quick one...

working on an older computer that has the -5V line still on the board...

not getting any vid on it(tried both the factory 8mb card and a 128mb card), think it's either the AGP slot itself or the PS finally dying. The PS is cheaper so I'm trying it first.

Only finding them with the 24 pin plugs, and no -5V wire in em.

Will I fubar the board if I plug it in with a 24->20 pin adapter(aka I need a new board/cpu/ram too), or is the -5V needed on the older computers(700MHz compaq)?

If I need a new board I'm swapping parts in THIS comp to make IT the backup and making a new comp from scratch. Already have a new vid card, 5 port(1 internal) usb2.0 card, spare ethernet, just a board/cpu/ram away from a new computer anyways... and the oldest CPU I can find is a 1.8GHz.

There is a 4 pin plug on the newer motherboards that powers AGP.. Not sure if it had -5V on it. If left off you will have no video.

This old one I'm trying to get working is a Compaq 5WV232, 700mhz processor. Think it was early 2001.

Even the factory card will not boot on the factory power supply.

Looking more and more like I should just replace the motherboard/cpu/ram on it and have a decent computer for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back