Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

atx pc power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

andhi_132

dear all,
is there anyone who know how atx power supply works,
generally and if can rather technically.
or website about it

I already open 3 atx power supply , from different manufacturer and I see that components is almost same.

there are there IC near capacitor input, with heatsink.
then there are 3 transformer, two same size and one bigger...
and after trafo there are shotky diode also with heatsink.
finally there is IC controller (ic pwm?)

thank you

its basically a multiple output mains powered switching power supply. so if u want to know whats happening in there u should know about switching power supplies in general. well, switching power supplies are very efficient because the "switch" the output at a very high frequency. basically in a switcher the mains voltage is rectified directly without stepping it down to a lower voltage (thats why u dont see a BIG transformer in a switcher). then that DC voltage is switched at a very high frequency. which is then lowered with the help of a high frequency switching transformer. the benefit is that u can use transformers of small sizes as compared to the ones found in linear supplies.

u should search on google for switching power supplies. u will find alot of info about it. here are some links

http://www.powerint.com
http://www.smps.us
**broken link removed**

thanks for answer and links,sam.

also, when I read book about smps, there are some topology . Is there anyone who know what topology usually is used to build atx power supply 300w and up. is it half bridge or push pull or else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back