Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ATtiny2313 fuse bit problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
Having problems programming the fuse bit to use the internal clock. I'm using AVR Studio, and AVR Dragon programmer. Tried chips from two seperate sources, same fail error. Guessing it's something I'm doing wrong.

I just started with microcontrollers last December, and have only used Tiny13 in HV programming mode. This is using serial ISP, but in the ZIF socket on the Dragon. So new chip, new programming mode.

Wanted to run some simple test code to see if I can get an LCD display to do something just to see if I'm on the right track.

Figured I'd ask and see if anybody has had problems, and if there is a simplist solution. If the chips are bad, I can try on a Mega48.

The Tiny2313 ships from the factory with the 4mhz internal oscillator enabled and an 8X pre-scaler so it should be running at 500khz. That's pretty low but they do it intentionally so that they're ready to go in the safest possible clock setting right out of the box. You need to limit your ISP programming clock to 1/4 the chips running frequency, so in this case you have to ISP program at no higher than 125khz. You're probably trying to program it with a much higher ISP frequency.

Thanks. Never guess what the problem was... I didn't have ISP programming selected, it was still set for HV/Parallel from the Tiny13s... Noticed it while looking for the ISP frequency adjustment, which wasn't an option until I change to ISP.

Unfortunately, the test program needs some major tweaking, probably best that I just write my own from scratch. Yeah, I'm a code robber...

Only the low speed version of Tiny2313V has an internal 4MHz oscillator. The normal Tiny2313 has an 8MHz internal oscillator.

When something does not work as expected, the chance that it is "a bad new chip" is about the same odds as winning the lottery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back