Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Attaching SMT ICs to Prototype Board is driving me Crazy.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonWarr

Ok so I have Sot-23-8 or TSSOP ICs and they are to small to hand solder, I've Looked at "Solder Paste" but It's thick like Bread Dough, even the syringe type and seems only good if your using a stencle.... What would be your thoughts on using a "circuit Board repair paint" such as MGchemicals Silver print (.2 ohms) painting the bottom side pins of the IC, then quickly making sure there's no bridgeing and "sticking" the IC down on the Printed Circuit board pads... Any thoughts or Other sugestions would be appreciated....

20130222_214153.jpg
I've done msop10 by hand, You need a 'good' magnifying glass, even doubling up the 'glasses' witch I do. and I don't have solder paste on hand:( there are some good tutorials on soldering, I can't remember the sites.

Last edited:
I've soldered many SSOP packages and have found that using flux makes it pretty easy as the flux stops the bridging.

Solder paste is best for reflow and not hand soldering as you can get bridges caused by unmelted paste turning up later down the track.

Using conductive paint sounds pretty messy.

Ok so I have Sot-23-8 or TSSOP ICs and they are to small to hand solder, I've Looked at "Solder Paste" but It's thick like Bread Dough, even the syringe type and seems only good if your using a stencle.... What would be your thoughts on using a "circuit Board repair paint" such as MGchemicals Silver print (.2 ohms) painting the bottom side pins of the IC, then quickly making sure there's no bridgeing and "sticking" the IC down on the Printed Circuit board pads... Any thoughts or Other sugestions would be appreciated....

Hi

There is an excellent video tutorial on this this site under "Electronic Videos".
Check it out...

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/surface-mount-soldering-very-good-video.128861/

eT

Wow,,, Thank you all for the quick replys.... I'ts Great when we can help each other in such a changing field....

I frequently hand solder fine pitch parts. I first lightly tin each pad on the board.

Then I touch the part to a little puddle of liquid flux, so that each lead is wetted by the flux. Then, while holding the part in place with tweezers, touch each lead with the tip of my iron.

It doesn't take much solder to make a good joint.

But that liquid flux is essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back