Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Attaching mechanical animations to a quartz clock movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

8botz

I am a newbie and am fired up to learn how to create simple motorized mechanisms and sounds that are attached to a quartz clock movement. I would like to trigger the mechanisms per hour, half hour, etc.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Books or kits? Parts to use etc.?

Thanks a bunch in advance and I will update you all with my progress!

More questions then answers.

8botz said:
I am a newbie and am fired up to learn how to create simple motorized mechanisms and sounds that are attached to a quartz clock movement. I would like to trigger the mechanisms per hour, half hour, etc.
Does the quartz clock movement does not have enough power to drive anything mechanical ?

Does it have any outputs/alarms that you could use to trigger/start circuits that drive motors ?

If you must use a clock movement you will need to detect the hand position(s) using some soft of frictionless switch(s).

Can you scrap the clock movement and use a microcontroller (with a crystal) to keep the time, start the gadgets, and move the clock hands?

Thanks for the reply. I simply do not know enough about the mechanisms of a quartz movement, let alone a microprocessor. Sounds like I can use the alarm as an output to start the animation. Can it support multiple animations? As for the power requirement, the moving parts will be made of wood and metal, and can be up to 1.5 feet from the quartz.

The microprocessor option sounds infinitely more exciting. Can I add as many moving parts as I wish, and as many motors necessary to run them?

Looks like I need an eletronic start kit :)

8botz said:

The microprocessor option sounds infinitely more exciting. Can I add as many moving parts as I wish, and as many motors necessary to run them?

Looks like I need an eletronic start kit :)
If you go the microprocessor route (I should have said microcontroller) you can do anything your brain can come up with and your pocketbook can afford.

Start with simple things like blinking a led. If you can do that you can power a relay that can run a motor that can do most anything...

It will be a lot of work but if it is your sort of thing it will be fun.

Start by reading Newcomers, please read! (PIC regarded) Upd. 0xD in the Micro Controller forum.

There are quite a few people here that will provide help to most anyone who is willing to make the effort.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back