Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Atmel microcontrollers question???

Status
Not open for further replies.

auto_mitch

hi!
i am new with microcontrollers and i have some questions:
1) What is the meaning of L at some avr models?
2)Can i use a serial port connector and via Max232 to program an avr microcontroller by pc's RS-232 port???
thanks guys,anyway!!!

1) the L means that is it a low voltage part and can run at 3V instead of 5. The low valtage parts usualy run slower.

2) Some AVRs have a section of code set asside for a bootloader. Once you program in a bootloader you can program the part with any interface. The bootloader lets you continue to execute instructions while the part programs its own memory - where the data is coming from is up to you. I don't think there are any parts that have a preprogrammed bootloader though - you still need a programmer to program the bootloader code. Some of Atmel's older 8051 parts have built in bootloader code for RS232 if you want something that is ready to go with a bootloader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back