Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

atmega3216pi programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

mab2

hello,

I'm new to arduino, so sorry if this is a silly question:

i've been given an atmega3216pi on veroboard with a um232r USB to serial adaptor, and was thinking of re-using it.

I thought that I could connect it to a PC, like an Arduino board and program it via USB using Arduino.exe, but having looked into it a bit, I'm not so sure.

Do I need an actual programmer if I want to erase & re-program it? Is there a cheap programmer out there?

Or should I just buy a new Arduino board which works via USB (which seem cheaper than the programmers I've seen) and presumably incorporates a programmer?

thanks

You can use it like an Arduino if the chip has "arduino-compatible" bootloader in it. Easiest way to find out is to try! If it does not work like Arduino, then you need a programmer.

EDIT: I don't actually know if atmega32 is supported by arduino software/bootloader..

Aha, well, I did try, but I'm not sure if it didn't work because it can't, or because I'm just doing something wrong;

installed the driver for the usb/serial - assigned to com4,
picked the 'blink' program from the examples\basics,
i couldn't find atmega3216 in the tools\boards menu so I picked "arduino pro or mini (5v,16MHz)w/ atmega328"
didn't know what to pick for tools\programmer either, so left it on the default (AVRISP MkII).

then tried to upload, and got the following:

Binary sketch size: 1,084 bytes (of a 30,720 byte maximum)
D:\downloads\electronics\microcontrollers\arduino\arduino-1.0.5\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CD:\downloads\electronics\microcontrollers\arduino\arduino-1.0.5\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -carduino -P\\.\COM4 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\DOCUME~1\CRAZHH~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\build5719241868043018299.tmp\Blink.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep 2 2011 at 19:38:36
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, https://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "D:\downloads\electronics\microcontrollers\arduino\arduino-1.0.5\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : \\.\COM4
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 57600
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done. Thank you.

Which doesn't mean much to me other than it didn't work.

if you could give me any pointers i'd appreciate it.

thanks

i couldn't find atmega3216 in the tools\boards menu so I picked "arduino pro or mini (5v,16MHz)w/ atmega328"

The chip you have is Atmega32, do you find that option?

Is there an option to read the chip? That could be an easier test to perform. If the read is succesful, then you should be able to program it also.
Try different programmer options.

Why don't you ask the people you got the board from?

The chip you have is Atmega32, do you find that option?

umm... no the boards that specify an Atmega (rather than just 'uno' or the like) are either 328, 168, 8 or 1280.

Why don't you ask the people you got the board from?

it was a while ago and I've lost contact.

Is there an option to read the chip?

Can't find anything in the menus or buttons that will 'read ' the chip alas.

I guess I can try some other programmer options and boards before I give up, but it looks like I might be better of just getting an Uno board or similar, at least until I learn more about programming these things.

thanks again.

If there is no option for Atmega32, then you can't use the Arduino stuff to program the chip.

Oh, OK, I guess that explains it; I'd assumed the 32 16 was a compatible version - just an upgrade from 32 8.

Thx

I think the chip you have is Atmega32-16P.
The 16P is the max frequency marking, not processor family. Very different than Atmega328 (or are you talking about atmega32-8). The hyphen (-) matters.

yes, I have 32 - 16pi and the list of boards has 328 not 32 - 8; I hadn't recognised the significance of the -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back