Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AT89S8252 VS. PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

williB

Hmmm
I hope to convert some of the new people reading this thread , to the realization i just had..some of us die hard pic proponents have obvoiously been duped by the trappings of the PIC..
what are they? Understandability isnt one of them..I mean we gotta admit that getting something done required a LOT of leadtime..
What i am saying is that the archetecture of the 8051 and its newer derivetives like the 8252 is frankly more understandable..
having grown up on the Z80 i think i will be taking a new look into the more familiar archetecture of the newer 8051's...
Thank you.

williB said:
Hmmm
I hope to convert some of the new people reading this thread , to the realization i just had..some of us die hard pic proponents have obvoiously been duped by the trappings of the PIC..
what are they? Understandability isnt one of them..I mean we gotta admit that getting something done required a LOT of leadtime..
What i am saying is that the archetecture of the 8051 and its newer derivetives like the 8252 is frankly more understandable..
having grown up on the Z80 i think i will be taking a new look into the more familiar archetecture of the newer 8051's...

Anything familiar will be easier for you, the advantage of a PIC is it's RISC simplicity. As to a more complex architecture being "more understandable", that's probably only because you are already familiar with something similar.

Generally learning a PIC is probably the faster learning curve of any microcontroller (hence their popularity) - UNLESS you have a head start, I came from 6502 - so neither PIC or 8051 had any ressemblance for me :lol:

If you're already familiar with ANY device, as long as it's sensible to use, it makes good sense to stick to it, or to something similar.

I'd still love to see a 'PIC type' device that ran 6502 code :cry:

Main advantages of PICs are:
Code compactness and execution speed, variety of peripherals, different PICs available alowing you to choose one that will fit your needs, low power consumption, great support from Microchip (Datasheets, MPLAB, Samples), and many more.
Ofcourse PICs HW simplicity (RISC core) is not the best (requires more programming), but everything has it's Pros & Cons.

I know this because I used to program 8051s, but now I can't even say how glad I am to switch to PIC.

EDIT: Dang it Nigel, you were faster :wink:

5 minutes MAY not be enugh to beat nigel.

PICs are the best if you ask me.They have lots of fetures and have a LOT of suport on the net (good datashets,shematics,software,firmware...)

And WOW the texsas instruments DSP that runs at 1 GHz !!! :shock: (The mother of all DSPs huh)

Someone Electro said:
And WOW the texsas instruments DSP that runs at 1 GHz !!! :shock: (The mother of all DSPs huh)
That's very fast... pretty suitable for frequency analysis. I don't think most of people (maybe nobody) in this forum would be able to use it effectivelly (including me :cry: )

It has more then 500 pins and comes in the same packege that Pentium 4 are.

I think one costs over $250 !

Someone Electro said:
It has more then 500 pins and comes in the same packege that Pentium 4 are.

I think one costs over $250 !
Wow, that's HUGE. Do you think I can order a Sample of it? :lol:

And yea an real profesional has to write code for it to harnes its true power.Not just any code monky. (Or code idiot like me)

I think you can order an sample but they wod probobly make absolutly shure there giving it to a BIG company.

Someone Electro said:
I think you can order an sample but they wod probobly make absolutly shure there giving it to a BIG company.
I can imagine... I would never Sample anything that I can't use... This would be just a waste of their money.

I recently learned that alot of large companies purposely avoid PICs though. Apparently they arn't "safety" oriented or something. Maybe they have lower tolerances? Anyways, I know for a fact GM Transportation stays away from them, and there excuse was something about PICs arn't as reliable under the conditions there uC's get put through.

THIS could also be outdated thinking though, possibly the first generations of PICs weren't to good compared to alot of motorolla or similar uC's, so now alot of companies are stuck in that mindset.

GM uses redundant microcontrollers in alot of projects for safety reasons. two uC's run identical code, the outputs from each pin are fed into logic gates (possibly an XOR with a NOT gate after it). If the output goes high (meaning, the two uC's running identicle code output something different then each other), the whole system shuts down.

Outside of industry though, I recommend PICs to all hobbyist I run across simply because of it's learning curve and the amount of available online resources. They'd be excellent in light commercial applications too.

I havent given up on them ,it is just a couple that really bug me about them, like the stupid way you have to set the A/D or PWM , i mean you gotta set a bit in this register , and another one over in that register then you gotta ....
it just seems like they could have layed it out better..

Willi,

Is the ADC easier to setup on other types of micros'? The only other mcu's I've ever programmed were 6502 and 68HC11/12 and I never did anything with ADC before the PIC...

Regards, Mike

Jay.slovak said:
Code compactness and execution speed, variety of peripherals, different PICs available alowing you to choose one that will fit your needs, low power consumption, great support from Microchip (Datasheets, MPLAB, Samples), and many more.

in terms of execution speed SiLabs offer the fastest 8-bit microcontrollers in the world (upto 100MIPS) which are based on an 8051. and if you visit SiLabs website https://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/public/web_content/products/Microcontrollers/en/index.htm you will find 8051s that have lots of peripherals.

and as far as variety is concerned, 8051 is available from hundereds of manufacturers each different from the other.

im not saying that 8051s are superior to the PICs. my point is that it doesnt matter which microcontroller you choose. you can finds ways to do anything with one microcontroller which the other can do aswell.

i hope that helps

samcheetah said:
Jay.slovak said:

in terms of execution speed SiLabs offer the fastest 8-bit microcontrollers in the world (upto 100MIPS) which are based on an 8051. and if you visit SiLabs website https://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/public/web_content/products/Microcontrollers/en/index.htm you will find 8051s that have lots of peripherals.

and as far as variety is concerned, 8051 is available from hundereds of manufacturers each different from the other.

im not saying that 8051s are superior to the PICs. my point is that it doesnt matter which microcontroller you choose. you can finds ways to do anything with one microcontroller which the other can do aswell.

i hope that helps
Quite impressive ..

williB said:
samcheetah said:
Jay.slovak said:

i hope that helps
Quite impressive ..

I'll say... those things come loaded with periphs. USB 2.0 on the larger chips...

There's alot of PIC fanboys here that have never tried another uC, but are absolutely certain that PIC is the best and easiest to start with. Personally I found them difficult to learn and hard to program with a JDM programmer. The Z8 Encore was a breeze to start with. I was up and running in no time.

I just started trying out the ARM and 8051 processors. I really need some more processing power for a specific project I want to finish. I have 6510 (6502 derivitive) programming experience, so the 8051 maybe the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back