Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AT89C51 with LCD n Keypad-help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shivani Joshi

Hello evry 1..
i need a ckt diagram 4 a project in which i'v gotta interface microcontroller AT89C51 to an LCD display (1row 16char) and a Keypad (4cros4 matrix)

i require a ckt with all misc components and connection..

thanking u all..

smells like a homework!

are you going to program in C or ASM?
Do you have the LCD yet? have a datasheet?
have you thought how do you want to interface the 4X4 keypad? (scanning or encoding? )

Shivani Joshi said:

Hello evry 1..
i need a ckt diagram 4 a project in which i'v gotta interface microcontroller AT89C51 to an LCD display (1row 16char) and a Keypad (4cros4 matrix)

i require a ckt with all misc components and connection..

Have you ever programmed a micro controller before? What compiler/language is your program?

To d replies..

thanks 4 replying..
yes, it is sort of a homework..it's part of a project i'v gotta make..

i'm gonna use ASM as prgramming language
i'll use a 1X16 LCD display.. dont hav d datasheet or d component yet..i'll get it within a day..

i saw a ckt of 4X4 keypad intrfaced with d use of connectors n 4 resistors.. 'll try it out.. or if u hav betr suggestions, they r most welcome..

again, thanks 4 d reply!!

Shivani Joshi said:
thanks 4 replying..
yes, it is sort of a homework..it's part of a project i'v gotta make..

i'm gonna use ASM as prgramming language
i'll use a 1X16 LCD display.. dont hav d datasheet or d component yet..i'll get it within a day..

i saw a ckt of 4X4 keypad intrfaced with d use of connectors n 4 resistors.. 'll try it out.. or if u hav betr suggestions, they r most welcome..

again, thanks 4 d reply!!

as for the key pad.. there are 2 common ways to do it

1) the easy circuit but complicated program (specially in ASM). which is probably the one you found. and it needs the whole 8 pins of a port.

2)Another way is to 'encode' 15 keys into a 4 bit binary numbre (Nible)
this technique is much more easier in programming, but a litle more dificult in the circuit... (if you'r familiar with digial logic design, then it's a piece of cake..)

good luck

ikalogic said:
as for the key pad.. there are 2 common ways to do it

1) the easy circuit but complicated program (specially in ASM). which is probably the one you found. and it needs the whole 8 pins of a port.

2)Another way is to 'encode' 15 keys into a 4 bit binary numbre (Nible)
this technique is much more easier in programming, but a litle more dificult in the circuit... (if you'r familiar with digial logic design, then it's a piece of cake..)

good luck

I got it.. the 2nd one seems more suitable..
thanks a lot 4 d idea..

this site's really helpfull..
BBI..
Take Care

Shivani Joshi said:
thanks a lot 4 d idea..

BBI..
Take Care

i made this encoder circuit a couple years a go when i was building a calculator using a 8051 uC, using ASM. may you need anything, just tell me

welcome to the forum.

Shivani Joshi said:
thanks a lot 4 d idea..

BBI..
Take Care
2nd one can have only 15 keys, your key pad has 4*4= 16 keys.
What will you tell the user: "Don't use that key, it's a spare one." :):)

No, go for the first option. Less hardware, more software.
The fun in µC is coding not soldering !

So use your brains, draw a schematic, make a flow chart, (use Google or others) propose something here and you can be sure help is on the way. But it has to come from you.

I have working hard- and software (ASM) for both keypad and LCD (as long it has a Hitachi HD44780 controller)

You can, already start with the datasheet...

Attachments

• HD44780.pdf
    322.1 KB · Views: 327
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back