Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AT power supply to power Laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend's laptop power supply recently fried, but I took the weird Sony plug of the adaptor and swore to jerry-rig a replacement. Now, I have a 200 Watt AT power supply that I pulled from a 486 from way back when, and I'm wondering the following:

The laptop says it takes 16V at 4 Amps.

Checking the voltage between the +12V and -5V lines shows 16.06V on my multimeter.

The -5V output is rated for 0.5A, the +12V at 8A.

Soo...What amperage do I expect from this -5 to +12 setup? Only 500mA?

ArtemisGoldfish said:
The -5V output is rated for 0.5A, the +12V at 8A.

Soo...What amperage do I expect from this -5 to +12 setup? Only 500mA?

Yes, only 500mA.
To adapt an old saying: "Chain is only as strong as its weakest link".

JimB

Would there be some way that I could combine +5V and +12V lines to get a workable voltage? And does the amperage matter so long as it's above the laptop's 4 amp requirement?

Not with one power supply.

Have you tried it with 12V?

Hero might have something. I mean what inside a laptop could really need 16 volts? It might just be overhead for the linear regulators. Since you're feeding it regulated 12 volt power, it may work. But I don't know much about the power section of a laptop and it could burn out or cause unintended malfunctions, just had to tack that disclaimer on there in case it blows up when you plug it in =>

Sceadwian said:
Hero might have something. I mean what inside a laptop could really need 16 volts? It might just be overhead for the linear regulators. Since you're feeding it regulated 12 volt power, it may work. But I don't know much about the power section of a laptop and it could burn out or cause unintended malfunctions, just had to tack that disclaimer on there in case it blows up when you plug it in =>

Most likely it will run fine on 12Volts; however the battery may not be fully charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back