Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

astable circuit with three transistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

faraday

hi everybody :)

I'm designing an astable circuit with three transistors that can turn on LEDs for 0.5 seconds, respectively.
i know about circuit with 2 transistors, and in this circuit RL (2.2k) Series with LED.

Please help me

my english language is not very well, sorry :p

You forgot to post the schematic of your circuit and you forgot to tell us what you need help with.

the schematic of circuit with two transistors is attached, The problem is that I do not know the place of third transistor, and Correct values ​​of resistors and capacitors

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    11 KB · Views: 518
Why do you want a third transistor?

I believe this circuit is what you are after and I suggest you read and understand the text. The circuit is a two transistor astable multi-vibrator circuit with two alternating LEDs. Since you are designing the circuit I also suggest you learn how the timing works in a circuit of this type.

Ron

Last edited:
You should not use a supply voltage higher than 6V with this simple circuit.
The reverse-bias emitter-base voltage of the transistors goes to nearly the supply voltage but their maximum allowed voltage is only 6V. With a supply that is higher than 6V then some transistors will have avalanche breakdown of their emitter-base junction that slowly destroys the transistor and messes up the timing of the circuit.
Diodes can be added to fix the circuit.

The 2-transistor astable circuit can be extended simply to use any even number of transistors. Attached is a 4-transistor astable. The 'on' time of each LED is about 0.6*C*R where, for each stage, C is the capacitor value and R is the value of the resistor connected between +V and the transistor base, i.e. about 0.5 sec for the values shown.

Attachments

• 4TransistorAstable.gif
    4TransistorAstable.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 565
this is a wonderful forum, thank you so much :)
What software do you use? To draw a schematic

What software do you use? To draw a schematic
I use LTSpice. Its primarily a simulator but I find the schematic editor pretty useful. Best of all, its a FREE download from Linear Technology. Recommended.

Last edited:
hi again,
I simulated that circuit with two transistors and it worked completely and I will attach the result, but when i use three transistors , the circuit worked very slowly that i couldn't see the result. how can i solve the problem?

(I used 1.1k resistance to unbalance the circuit, so the circuit can vibrate.
)
simulations are in OrCAD 16.0.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't find LED in OrCAD Capture

Attachments

• 2 transistor.jpg
    2 transistor.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 424
  • 2 transistor output.jpg
    2 transistor output.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 438
  • 3 transistor.jpg
    3 transistor.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
I didn't find LED in OrCAD Capture

LEDs should be in the Discrete.OLB library in Orcad Capture.

Ron

Each transistor is a common-emitter amplifier that inverts the signal with 180 degrees of phase shift.
Two of them produce a total of 360 degrees which makes positive feedback to make oscillation.
But three of them makes 180 degrees of phase shift for no oscillation.
An even number of transistors will oscillate properly, an odd number will not.

It will have trouble starting because 2 transistors might turn on at the same time.

Look in Google for LED Chaser Circuit. It will have an oscillator (probably a 555 timer) driving a CD4017 decade counter/sequencer. The CD4017 can drive LEDs directly and can have an output connected to its Reset pin for less than 10 outputs. They can be cascaded for many many outputs.

The 2-transistor astable circuit can be extended simply to use any even number of transistors. Attached is a 4-transistor astable. The 'on' time of each LED is about 0.6*C*R where, for each stage, C is the capacitor value and R is the value of the resistor connected between +V and the transistor base, i.e. about 0.5 sec for the values shown.
The problem is this: The circuit above does not work. It freezes.
You need an odd number of transistors to create the "run" effect:

**broken link removed**

hi again
I simulated the circuit with 2 transistors. the circuit has a few mistakes
the time that's on is 0.7 seconds,while it shoulde be 0.5 seconds
LEDs turn on simulataneously
what should I do?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 407
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 391
I modified your circuit so it is like the one Colin posted in post #13 (and I cropped it because your schematic had lots of wasted space).
Try it and let us know if it blinks one on light in sequence or if it blinks one off light in sequence.

Attachments

• astable with 3 transistors.PNG
    astable with 3 transistors.PNG
    78 KB · Views: 590
The problem is this: The circuit above does not work. It freezes.
You need an odd number of transistors to create the "run" effect:

the circuit you may be thinking of is a "ring oscillator", which works on an odd number of transistors acting as inverters, causing it to oscillate. I have generally seen it done with MOSFETs, but I have also gotten it to work with BJTs using larger capacitor values.

Attachments

• ring oscillator.JPG
    ring oscillator.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,002
  • IMG_0493.JPG
    IMG_0493.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 403
Thank you all :D
it works
attachments are photo and video of circuit.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 470
  • video.mp4.zip
    125 KB · Views: 293
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back