Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Asking the experts - Controlling a point-of-load regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRSresearch

I'm a patent researcher looking for examples, before 2002, of controlling a point-of-load (POL) regulator by use of a microprocessor. In this case, a serial bus is used to communicate between a power controller and a POL regulator. The power controller is actually performing calculations instead of merely enabling/disabling or monitoring. I'm happy to clarify or answer any questions you may have. For additional info you can look at US patent 6,949,916; I believe what is discussed in this patent actually existed before 2002. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Additional Note: It may help to think about PMBus, the Digital Power Control Protocol - **broken link removed**

is the controller/microprocessor located in or next to the load itself?
(as in is it sampling the load directly?) or is it located in the main bus controller as part a larger power distribution system? (as in sampling the load voltage through indirect means?)

Aside from that, you might have extra luck in your search by looking under category of "digital control of power supplies" or "digital control of switch mode power supplies" or "digital control of SMPS".

Thanks for the question

In my reading of the patent, I would say the controller is "in" the load and samples through direct means but it may also sample through "in-direct" means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back