Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

asking about ampere

Status
Not open for further replies.

draze75

Hi Guys,

sorry im a noob for electric device.
I have a sensor, here r the data sheet
voltage supply range +Vs 10 ... 30 VDC
current consumption max. (no load) 25 mA
current consumption typ. 20 mA

can i supply the sensor with the power supply 12V DC and 2 A , is it ok giving a 2 ampere?

Thank you so much!

Your power pack should be fine, as the device will only draw what current it needs to operate. The powerpack has the ability to supply more current which is fine.

Hi Guys,

sorry im a noob for electric device.

First of all, never apologize for being a "noob". We were all newbies once, and we're here to help you learn :)

can i supply the sensor with the power supply 12V DC and 2 A , is it ok giving a 2 ampere?

Absolutely. As k7elp60 said, it will only take what it needs. Think of it as a pitcher of water. You're thirsty, but only for one small glass. You have a "reservoir" with more water than you want, and you only take what you need. That's basically how it works.

Last edited:
First of all, never apologize for being a "noob". We were all newbies once, and we're here to help you learn :)

hehehe. thanks2.. :)

Absolutely. As k7elp60 said, it will only take what it needs. Think of it as a pitcher of water. You're thirsty, but only for one small glass. You have a "reservoir" with more water than you want, and you only take what you need. That's basically how it works.

nice analogy bro.. thanks!.

nice analogy bro.. thanks!.

Hahaha, glad you think so! :D It's not one of my best analogies, but it was the first to pop into my head :p;)

Great. But how about the opposite. If the power supply is not enough , would that damage the power supply...or the device?

Any half decent power supply should have built in protection against too much current being drawn, and 20-25mA is a tiny amount compared to 2A anyway. It is extremely unlikely to damage your device if the supply isn't adequate, but you may get strange results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back