Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arm 7t and C++ code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaza2k1

Hi all, im sorry to ask for help on my first post but i am really stuck.
I am a final year student who is working wiht the arm processor for
the first time. I have been given the Arm Evaluator 7t board (samsung S3C4510X01).

So far i have been successfully porgrammed the baord to do numerous tasks
including writing to external Ram but this has all been using assembler language. I know need to write it in C++,and while i have a reasonable
knowledge in writing C++ i have never written any for embbedded systems.
I need help in understanding what header files are available, how to go about using them.

taks i need to be able to do inluclude:-

- transfering files via the uart.
- writing to and reading from output pins
- displaying text over uart
- accessing specific registers for data maniplualtion

Any help would be greatfully appreciated, this is for my final year project
so i am not looking for answers but i have been banging my head against a
brick wall so to speak so any advice/references or websites would be great

thanks all

Gareth

p.s i am using the metrowerks codewarrior environment.

Last edited:
I've never seen that particular processor, but any required headers or include files should be supplied with the compiler, along with instructions or helpfiles for it. Also C++ isn't usually applicable to imbedded programming, usually it's just C that's used.

thanks for the reply. The processor is based around the arm 7t core but produced by samsung as arm dont fabricate their own chips.

I have managed to find the header files in codewarrior and now have a bit more of an idea how to go about it. The only questions i still have is how would you go about accessing a particular memory address from C, and how
is their a way a program running on the processor could request for a file location to be entered via a host pc and then the file at location on a host
pc be opened and set via the uart?
I have managed to use the usart to request and read single bit and strings
but this operation is a bit more involved.

again any help will be greatly appreciated
thanks all

hi, for the UART connection a dumb terminal (windows hyperterminal) can be used, so far i have written all the code in assembly and data requests can be sent from the board to the host and displayed on the screen and then data can be read from the keyboard, this works without any code on the host.

Now if two separate codes are needed, which could be the case the interface betweeen the two would be an issue i do not know how to
resolve.

However i was jst playing with hyperterminal and their is a send file option
in the tool bar which if could be used would be sufficient. this may be a
plausable method although i have never used it before.

thanks again

If all you want is a dumb terminal on the PC end, then Hyperterminal is fine - but from what you said you wanted somewhat more than that?.

If you're going to do file transfers, you need to consider the protocol you're going to use - Hyperterminal supports a number of different ones.

Going back a LONG time (pre-Windows) I implemented XMODEM using Turbo Pascal in a comms program I wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back